Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inspire Upper Airway Stimulation

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

For those out there who have OSA and hate the CPAP there is a new therapy called Upper Airway Stimulation. If I qualify I am going to get it done at the USF medical school. You can go to www.inspiresleep.com to check it out. It involves putting a device under your skin to stimulate you throat not to close up when you sleep. There is more too it. I can't tolerate the CPAP and it does not work for me anyway. The VA was involved with it to some extent but they are so cheap don't expect it yet.

John

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Please update us if you have this procedure. I hate the CPAP. I think they also refer to this procedure as the "sleep apnea pacemaker." I am not service connected for sleep apnea but I hope my private insurance would at least pay part of the costs. This has to be better than the CPAP or the oral device.

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, I plan on having the surgery. My CPAP/Bipap does not work well for me even under lab conditions.. It leaks off and on all night. I wake up every hour on the hour when I wear the mask due to it drying me out so bad, or noise from leakage. Just as soon as I am able to get seen, and as soon as the doctors say I am a good candidate I will have the surgery unless there is some dire problem I don't know about. To use nasal pillows I would need three hour surgery on my nose and sinus.

It just so happens that at the University of South Florida they are doing the procedure. I thought I was going to have to fly to Pittsburg to get it done. It is a new procedure that just got FDA approval after a two year trial. The company Inspire Medical makes the device.

John