Question

As it stands, I am 80% SC for:

Anxiety-50%

IBS-30%

Tinnitus-10%

DDD-10%

OSA-Still fighting it

Urinary Incontinence- Still fighting it

Now this is where I am not sure how to proceed with my current issues. I have had blurry vision since being active duty (documented in service). I recently had a VA optometry appointment and at the end of the exam she asked me when I had a TBI? I said I hit hard when doing jumps (82nd Airborne Division) and I was awarded a Combat Action Bade for being so close to multiple rocket/mortar explosions (less than 20 meters).

I was never knocked unconscious, but I did get stars on some on my jumps and I felt the blasts on my body which felt like someone shoving me, but that was it.

• Well, I was diagnosed with Divergence Insufficiency and told I needed to see an eye physical therapy aloing with a preseription for Prism glasses. I went to eye physical tharapy last week and more stuff happened!

• My eyes were dilated to the point that the Dr couldn’t tell what color my eyes were (Mydrasis), even under flourecent lights

• Secondly, while doing exercises my eyes would twitch side to side (Nystagmus)

I know now these things are TBI related, but I am not sure what angle to file for service connection?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

They are potentially due to the TBI but you need to claim them as residuals to the TBI.
And VA will need proof that you suffered a TBI in service and that these are direct residuals of the TBI.

There is some medical suggestion on the net (I didnt have time to searchj for much) showing TBIs relationship to ocular deficiencies.

This article mentions nystagmus and the divergence insufficiency regarding head trauma:

http://www.brainline.org/content/2011/03/vision-and-rehabilitation-after-brain-trauma-part-2.html

This PDF in this link also has more info on TBI and associated optic problems:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&ved=0CDMQFjAFOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F49630104_Vision_disturbance_after_TBI%2Ffile%2F9fcfd50b752045b209.pdf&ei=a4PFU7SICe2n8QHVmoHIBA&usg=AFQjCNHy5t56UthQScWzlKIdKvSkucD2_A&sig2=HxAgiQvJv6MoNCcfU14HdQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.b2U

Unfortunately I found no rating info for these conditions nor any similar claim at the BVA web site ,, but if you go to the VASRD (VA Schedule of Rating Disability,) in another forum here at hadit, they have the whole 9 yards on how they rate eye problems....and it pays to read over the TBI forum information here carefully too..