Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suspended Payment Please Help.

Rate this question

MikeH1981

Question

Hello all, here is my sitrep;

I was awarded a 60% disab. rating in Feb of this year (2014) the check with 2 year retro payment was sent to a bad address (my fault I know) . I updated my address and direct deposit information on April 2, through e-benefits and the 800-827 #. I was told this could take up to six weeks to process and re-issue the payment. Here it is, almost August, and I haven't recieved anything. I've made numerous calls to the 800 number, with a different response every time. I've sent inquries and complaints through IRIS...the anwser that I keep getting is this; "at this time the regional office is unable to determine a time frame of completion for this type of claim" which says it is an eligibilty determination...I am a homeless vet that did 3 combat tours in Iraq/Afghanistan as a CCT and TACP member, I am looking forward to this money to get my ass back on track and stop couch surfing, its very frustrating that there is no accountability and one hand doesnt seem to know what the other is doing....my RO is Oakland and I understand they are swamped, but I would just like to know if there is something else I should pursue or another angle to take on this is...or even a time frame would be nice....thank you for your help in advance

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have a VSO, if not you need one at least for this issue........get to one, explain the situation and do not take no for an answer. As a homeless Vet, this should not be hard for the RO to accomplish. You can also call your congress critter and light another fire by telling them you are ready to go to the MEDIA over this.....and be prepared to do it.

Do yourself a favor.....buy some gold and silver! The printing presses are in overdrive.

Instant gratification could be attained with a personal visit to the Oakland Regional Office. You have to be proactive in these situations. Were it me in your shoes, I would avoid taking a bath for a week, don very dirty, stinky clothing, douse some Petuli oil on myself, present at the RO with my borrowed shopping cart of my belongings and declare myself homeless. VA is obligated to deal with homeless/medical/financial problems ahead of any others. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Going through the traditional channels (i.e. IRIS or the 800-827-1000 Prize Redemption Call Line) are an exercise in futility. Arriving in person will cause much consternation and some instant action. It sure did up in Sioux Falls, South Dakota last summer. Old Harv had them gagging and dry heaving and he got his TDIU in record time. A Vet's got to know his limitations with the VA and exploit what he can. Petuli oil, in sufficient quantities indoors, can move mountains.

Or, on the other hand, you can go the VSO route which may get it done in about three months. Or, you could do the same with a reputable attorney and cough up 20% of the retro. If you've won, I see no need to do that although I have-especially with the Oakland RO. They are 600 days out on DRO reviews now and it justs gets worse by the day. If you can get the Rule 900 consideration, you'll be there far sooner than playing telephone tag with a bunch of GS-7s staring at eBenefits and trying to give you answers to things they know nothing of. Dial-a-prayer 'technicians' are merely VA new-hires waiting for the next training cycle for VSRs to begin. It's the lowest step on the VA ladder.

Twenty years ago, when you called the 800 number, it connected you to your local RO. If the GS-10 'expert' didn't have an answer, he'd find one while you were on the line or get back to you shortly. I had one transfer me to the Ratings section numerous times over several days to get my AO claim back on track. The raters were pleasant then and bent over backwards to make it right if they could. Some would even offer suggestions on how to repair an error or find needed info. Almost all gave me their personal telephone number at their desk. Fat chance now.

a

Cleared in Hot. Guns are free.

...my RO is Oakland

I'm sorry you are dealing with one of the worst ROs in the country. They are in the bottom 10% On speed and accuracy. I would be willing to bet they even made errors on your 60% rating. They are currently under investigation for " data integrity issues" http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/the-va-s-scandal-just-keeps-spreading-20140714

You have a lot of options available That the guys have recommended --you should probably do all of them.

1. Start with in person visit

2. Visit to VSO

3. Congressperson visit Jackie Spiers is the person you want to talk to here

4. Media email