Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

kate7772

Question

My husband was recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. He was at camp Lejeune and it is presumptive but must be diagnosed within a year of exposure. Exposure was many years ago so he cannot file a claim on that.

Diabetes is a common cause and that is presumptive due to agent orange which he also was exposed to in Vietnam but my husband is not diabetic at this time. He has been borderline for a while but he is short of diagnosis.

Is it claim able in any way?

Thanks

Kate

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It would be much better to have a diagnosis of Diabetes type two. And then apply for PN as secondary, either with DMII as the cause or making it worse.

The VA medical side and DOD treatment guides say that DMII may exist for ten years before it's diagnosed.

Various medical articles, etc. about DMII basically say that the "complications", such as PN and CAD may also

occur before DMII reaches a "diagnostic level". To my and others way of thinking, A.O. causes an endocrine disorder

that in turn causes other problems.

An endocrinologist should be consulted, and may be able and willing to write an IMO that connects PN to the incipient

DMII. If an endocrinologist returns a diagnoses of DMII, and prescribes treatment, it's difficult for the VA to evade the issues.

The C&P side says that it only exists after it's been diagnosed. Go figure!

Edited by Chuck75

My husband was recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. He was at camp Lejeune and it is presumptive but must be diagnosed within a year of exposure. Exposure was many years ago so he cannot file a claim on that.

Diabetes is a common cause and that is presumptive due to agent orange which he also was exposed to in Vietnam but my husband is not diabetic at this time. He has been borderline for a while but he is short of diagnosis.

Is it claim able in any way?

Thanks

Kate

That diagnosed within one year is horse apples! A good attorney should be able to make the argument. Here is a link that explains what you can do:

http://neuropathysupportnetwork.org/blog/2013/09/va-final-ruling-for-presumptive-peripheral-neuropathy-due-to-ao-exposure/

Don't let that effective date get away from you, suggest you still file the NOD.

Mid-seventies we supported Marine expeditionary forces. We would load up with millions of gallons of potable water at Cherry Point. Probably the same water supply. We gators will have to make our argument later like for AO.

Edited by GatorNavy