Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsc Pension From The Va

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

I have a friend that is on Social Security disability for a bad back and has not worked for several years. He is an Army Veteran. I saw in the post by Pipeman that he is drawing the NSC pension. Is it because he retired from the military or is availiable to all Veterans? Where is the information so I can help my friend. THANKS! Terry Sturgis

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest terrysturgis

Pete53, I think there are a whole bunch of veterans that do not have the will to deal with the VA. I do not know where I got the strength to take on the VA and win but I did. Now SS is giving me crap and I do not have the gumption to fight that fight. Yes I do have an attorney but it seems we do not get along that well. If I don't win I will get SS in 4 years anyway.

I wonder if your brother checked out this HADIT site he could get motivated to step up to the challenge. Also if he has a wife she could help him. One other question, does he have any other AO presumptive conditions? The PTSD battle I have helped one Veteran win but it is getting harder. He got 30% but it should be 70%. Take care, Terry Sturgis

Terry,

That is an excellent point you made. Sharing the HADIT web site with veterans. I know that this site not only got us motivated but it also helped us to become more proactive in the claims process.

Learning that you have options beyond the VA rating officers decisions, and that his decision is not necessarily final, makes a hugh difference in our involvement regarding the claim.

HADIT is a very motivating site. I always tell people about the web site. Even non veterans because it helps them understand what the veterans are going through.

Jangrin :D

• HadIt.com Elder

My Brother has a couple of concerns about getting PTSD from VA. First he will under no circumstances submit himself to being kept at a VA even for one day. Second he actually thinks that VA is out to screw him. Third he does have a girl friend but his track record with relationships is not to good. I can get along with him cause I love him and when he gets to nutty I back off.

Like I said before he is happy with the NSC Pension and actually has been able to save some money. When he got his 4 months of back pay he bought a used Ford Econovan with the money and uses it to camp a lot. At times he has lived in the jungles in Mexico for months at a time.

He is planning to visit me next December for a month and maybe than we can try again. He has no computer and he never even reads his free email. He calls me everynow and than and I was surprised when he called me at the Hospital when I got my angioplasty. His advice was to get out of the Hospital as soon as I could walk.

Terry,

The reason that I ended up with a NSC pension from the VA

was due to the fact that I have some disabling medical issues,

and by virtue of the fact that I am a vietnam era vet that

served during a time of war I am eligible for the (so called)

war pension because of no income. The NSC is a needs based

pension that takes into account what your available household

income is and considers what you have for dependents. In my

case because I have school aged children and spouse they are

considered in the monetary determination. There is a set amount

based on your dependents and then they subtract household income

and arrive at a monthly amount.

Hope that answerd your question.

Hello. I am a vietnam era veteran. I have applied for a service connection and it is now in the hands of the BVA in Washington. I recently discovered my Rating Decision. On it there is something called Pension Entitlement Decissions. Then it says Permanent and Total for NSC from 06/22/1995

And then it says Combined Evaluation For Pension: 70%

I have written to the VA several times but I don't get a response. Any ideas on my situation or could you refer me to someone. Thanks Alan Gosink

Allan,

""Hello. I am a vietnam era veteran. I have applied for a service connection and it is now in the hands of the BVA in Washington. I recently discovered my Rating Decision. On it there is something called Pension Entitlement Decissions. Then it says Permanent and Total for NSC from 06/22/1995""

Has this just been recently recieved? If it's only been a few weeks it does take them

awhile to get their fingers working. from the time I got a decision to my first check

was about two months and then another three weeks for the retro to arrive.

If you are earning money or are recieving SSDI or SSI they will reduce your

amount dollar for dollar what your already existing household income is.

""And then it says Combined Evaluation For Pension: 70%""

I have written to the VA several times but I don't get a response. Any ideas on my situation or could you refer me to someone. Thanks Alan Gosink

If you have had time to write them with no response then two questions...

where is your POA if you have one and does he or she know what your situation is?

second is have you considered contacting a congressperson to investigate?