VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anybody Have Childhood Asthma That Cleared Up But Came Back Worse On Ad?

Rate this question

JB3AFSP2

Question

I was denied my claim for Allergic Rhinitis, Chronic Sinusitis and Asthma. I'm most pissed about about the Asthma being denied. They were denied based on evidence that those "asthma existed prior to service and there is no evidence that the condition permanently worsened as a result of military service." I had childhood exercised induced asthma. I was an Air Force dependent so they have my records showing that. It only occurred after physical activity. They also have evidence that it cleared up around age 12 which allowed my to enter active military service. After entering AD I start having issues with wheezing and was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease along with Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis. I had and still to this day have no issues with asthma after strenuous physical activity and at my most recent C&P exam, evidence was found of obstruction. Clearly, the condition has changed and in my mind made worse as now it can pop up at any time. Wondering if anyone else has had to fight the VA on something like this.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

They should not have your childhood records unless you provided a copy at some point. Check your entrance exam and see if it indicates asthma was verified by the doc. If it is not verified, the presumption of soundness should apply. Even if it was there, they should determine the % worsened and deduct from your potential rating. To deny outright because you may have had it as a kid is just wrong in my opinion.

Also request a copy of your entire c-file. Find out exactly what they think they know about you and you will be in a better position to appeal.

Thanks for the reply. They definitely had my dependent records and I did not give them copies. The NP who examined me was reading things off of my records on her laptop and asking me questions about incidents in my childhood. I'll ask for my c-file and see what they send me.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This does raise a bit of an alarm in my book. They really have no business knowing anything about your childhood, in my opinion. If you used a VSO to submit your claim, I recommend you try to find out how they got copies of your dependent records.

I got out of the service in the 90's and asked my county VA rep if I should send in my dependent records. He said I should not under any circumstances because all it does is force the raters to have to unnecessarily go through additional documentation. He said that the only documentation that matters is the records from the day I got in until they day I got out, and then only the records pertinent to my claim.

If the VA somehow got your childhood records, it could give them an excuse to make stupid decisions. For example, if you threw up and went to the doc when you were 5, the VA could use that record to deny/reduce a rating for a gastro problem that clearly bugged you in service.