VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Braces Covered In Faberic (Metal/plastic Stays Covered In Fabric) Or Devices/appliances With Velco Stays/fasteners Do Not Cause Wear/tear To

Rate this question

usvet

Question

Greetings,

I was denied for my clothing allowance after receiving it for the last three years same knee braces and same back brace. BRACES COVERED IN FABERIC (METAL/PLASTIC STAYS COVERED IN FABRIC) OR DEVICES/APPLIANCES WITH VELCO STAYS/FASTENERS DO NOT CAUSE WEAR/TEAR TO CLOTHING [This statement was attached to my denial letter under FAQ on Clothing Allowance].

In making this decision. We consider your application and your medical records at the prosthetic clinic.

I don’t believe they looked at my records I just got new braces in May 14 for the same reason wear and tear and worn out braces.

I could not find anything on this everyone is telling me that’s how VA is INTERPRETATION the letter of the law to include the prosthetic dept.…yet there is nothing I have seen in black and white. Is the brace statement in writing and a regulation or just someone’s point of view?

I did ask prosthetic to show me in writing but they could not provide me anything. In making this decision. We consider your application and your medical records at the prosthetic clinic…I don’t believe they looked at my records I just got new braces in May 14 for the same reason wear and tear and worn out braces.

I will file the NOD but wanted more information I feel that any Vet who receives clothing allowance should not have to go through this a just trying to get through the pain and the loss of quality of life is enough to deal with.

If you have any information on the above please provide it to me…I just don’t want to over look anything with this. Thanks.

Greetings,

I need help! I was denied for my clothing allowance after receiving it for the last three years same knee braces and same back brace.BRACES COVERED IN FABERIC (METAL/PLASTIC STAYS COVERED IN FABRIC) OR DEVICES/APPLIANCES WITH VELCO STAYS/FASTENERS DO NOT CAUSE WEAR/TEAR TO CLOTHING. This statement was attached to my denial letter under FAQ on Clothing Allowance.

In making this decision. We consider your application and your medical records at the prosthetic clinic.

I don’t believe they looked at my records I just got new braces in May 14 for the same reason wear and tear and worn out braces.

In making this decision. We consider your application and your medical records at the prosthetic clinic…I don’t believe they looked at my records I just got new braces in May 14 for the same reason wear and tear and worn out braces.

I could not find anything on this everyone is telling me that’s how VA is INTERPRETATION the letter of the law to include the prosthetic dept.…yet there is nothing I have seen in black and white. Is the brace statement in writing and a regulation or just someone’s point of view? I did ask prosthetic to show me in writing but they could not provide me anything.

I will file the NOD but wanted more information I feel that any Vet who receives clothing allowance should not have to go through this a just trying to get through the pain and the loss of quality of life is enough to deal with.

If you have any information on the above please provide it to me…I just don’t want to over look anything with this.

Braces covered in faberic (metal/plastic stays covered in fabric) or devices/appliances with velco stays/fasteners do not cause wear/tear to clothing.

I was denied a few months back. I too wear the Braces for both Knees and Back. The VA's New Policy states that the Metal has to be exposed on the braces. I guess up until now those braces were previously generically approved. Sorry for the bad news bud, but you are wasting your time. I sent in Pics of my pants that were worn and ripped as I wear the same pants all the time to the VA, and clothing allowance was still denied. I have too much on my plate, then to fight the dang VA over the allowance. Good luck bud, and keep us posted.

I would appeal if I were you. I would also contact the maker of the device as I did and tell them you are looking at getting the device you have but wanted to know if it will not cause tearing of your clothing. I did that with a device they gave that was OTS and said these does not cause wear and tear on the clothing but upon contacting the company through email they could not substantiate what the prosthetics department was saying. Whenever you have two objects rubbing together the friction will cause wear especially if it's a bulging device.

No I don't have a copy it was included with the Allowance denial, and my wife burned it in the Fireplace, Lol. I don't know about exposed plastic.

JayBrown1,

I want to know what did you say in your NOD and did you give all your data upfront or did you tell them will be provide for your appeal???? I tried to PM you as well.

Edited by usvet