VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Details

Rate this topic

I was wondering if I might get some guidance from you guys out there?

I was awarded 100% DOD/100% VA P&T last year, but I was just reading another post on the SMC Topic, and it made me wonder.

Where exactly will I find the information about my SMC award on my decision letter?

On my award letter it states that I am 100% P&T, plus SMC which I assume it's for my left eye, but I'm not completely sure because I have other disabilities that fall under SMC qualifications.

Can anyone please tell me where to look in my Brown Packed to find this information, and the $ amount and % that's being paid to me for SMC?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

One way to determine the SMC level is to look at your VA compensation check amount.

http://www.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/va-disability-compensation-rates.html (Shows the basic compensation table amounts)

Then, go to the current 100% rate for your situation. SMC L is the basic, and higher rates can be paid.

SMC L

Veteran only $2.858.24

Veteran & Spouse $3,017.60

(And so forth)

The SMC payment table amount is a combination of the 100% amount plus the SMC payment.

Your payment may also include SMC amounts for things otherwise rated at 0% (SMC K) (Up to three of these as I remember.)

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-benefits/special-monthly-compensation-smc-tables.html

SMC K $101.50 Usually added to other rate or paid as the rate when percentage is zero.

SMC L

Veteran Alone $3,556.56

Veteran with Spouse $3,715.92

$3,715.92

- $3,017.60

= $698.32 SMC L veteran & spouse

No one ever said that the VA knows how to make things simple, or that they have any desire to do so!

Edited by Chuck75

Thanks for the info, Chuck75.

I strongly agree with you on how difficult the VA make things seem sometimes!

In my case, I am 100% P&T, and payment to me as single, because they are still lingering around with my dependency claim is $3061.00.

To my understanding dependency pay for my wife should be about $159.00 when I see it.

So the pay for the veteran alone at 100% is $2,828.24, but there again, I am receiving $3,061.00, with a difference of about $233.00 which should be SMC, but which one? SMC K, L, and so one?

I guess I will try and sit with a VA rep, and see if they can break it down for me once my dependency claim id done.

But, like you said Chuck, I might have a couple of SMC's. I just wish they would have broken down in my Brown Envelope.

Thanks Chuck.

Aggie

• HadIt.com Elder

$3061 by my calculations is 24 cents short of

100% Veteran only + 2 SMC (K) ratings.

so that's likely what you are currently getting paid for.

Lets assume that they award SMC L + the two existing Ks and pick up your wife

$3,715.92 SMC (L) + 2 SMC (K) $3918.92

Edited by Chuck75

Yea, your right Chuck, it is $3061.24.

Thank you so much for the info, it now makes sense to me.

Couldn't have done it without you.

Thank you so much.

Aggie....