VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Plain Reading

Rate this question

mos1833

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

5 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Strange, try to click on the document but it just spins. Was using Firefox. Might have to try a different browser.

"Acute: Of abrupt onset, in reference to a disease. Acute often also connotes an illness that is of short duration, rapidly progressive, and in need of urgent care.

"Acute" is a measure of the time scale of a disease and is in contrast to "subacute" and "chronic." "Subacute" indicates longer duration or less rapid change. "Chronic" indicates indefinite duration or virtually no change.

The time scale depends on the particular disease. For example, an acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) may last a week, while an acute sore throat may only last a day or two."

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2133

I got the spinner too and could not open the doc.

Something that appears 'acute' and treated only once or twice in the mil could, in time possibly become a chronic disability, if it is in fact, medically symptomatic during Military service of a chronic post service problem. But this is often the job of an IMO doctor to determine if those inservice symptoms definitely were the etiology (or initial manifestation) of the disability the veteran seeks SC for.

And of course VA will seek any post service reasons to try to prove the disability was only acute and the claimed problem has nothing to do with what the SMRs might reveal.

For example I had a vet whose SMRs revealed he was treated a few times for VD in service, had fainted twice and also had urinary incontinence once. (acute incidents)

His BVA denials noted he had a drusen in service too during vision exam and was on his second CAVC remand.

Long story and I helped him prove he had SC diabetes.But he did need an IMO to connect the dots from what I found in his SMRs to his DMII. The ' drusen' word in the BVA decision was a fabulous clue as well and symptomatic of diabetes.

This was before I joined hadit ,and I had the time to really research his case.

In another case ( my former vet rep had asked me for some help on this one too)

the veteran had symptoms of a possible cardiac problem in service,as an acute episode but I explained he needed an IMO in his case to connect the dots to a cardiac issue he had after service. (which he kept forgetting to show me his med recs on.

He was more interested in another claim he had pending.He was trying to get a PTSD diagnosis.

That claim was so screwed up already by him AND the rep that I passed on helping with that one.

(and I saw no evidence at all that would indicate PTSD or any valid stressor.)

Still, one thing I have learned for sure, is that Nothing is impossible.

But many claims need a lot of legwork to succeed and the long claims process usually gives us all the time we need to do that leg work.

berta thank you for all the help you share with us, and thanks for joining hadit.

the spinning thing was a document that shows that it was a chronic condition

and then a year later was called a chronic condition again, and twice sent to the

M.O. for evalation, the records are from field corpsmen,

so i thought that was proof it was chronic.

maybe i'll figure out how to post them later own. thanks