Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Friend

Rate this question

Berta

Question

A girl friend of mine has appointment next week with SSA as she is 60 years old and also a wdiow.

But -she was divorced from her husband before he died.

She seems to believe they have already determined she -as his widow -is eligible for SSA retirement benefits.But just by what they said in one brief phone call to give her the appointment.

He had a few other wives too.

Prior to her- she said they dont get SSA on his record but there is really no way she could be sure of that-

I hope she has gotten the right info.

Widow but divorced -60 years old- reduced SSA benefit ?

Any advise?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Gee-I found the answer right away at the SSA site:

good info for all to have: in my friend's case they were married longer than the 10 year limiting criteria.

“Life insurance” from Social Security

Many people think of Social Security only as a retirement program. But some of the Social Security taxes you pay go toward providing survivors insurance for workers and their families. In fact, the value of the survivors insurance you have under Social Security is probably more than the value of your individual life insurance.

When you die, certain members of your family may be eligible for survivors benefits. These include widows, widowers (and divorced widows and widowers), children and dependent parents.

How do I earn survivors insurance?

As you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn credits toward your Social Security benefits. The number of years you need to work for your family to be eligible for Social Security survivors benefits depends on your age when you die. The younger a person is, the fewer years he or she needs to work. But no one needs more than 10 years of work to be eligible for any Social Security benefit.

Under a special rule , if you have worked for only one and one-half years in the three years just before your death, benefits can be paid to your children and your spouse who is caring for the children.

Under a special rule, if you have worked for only one and one-half years in the three years just before your death, benefits can be paid to your children and your spouse who is caring for the children.

Who can get survivors benefits based on your work?

Your widow or widower may be able to receive full benefits at age 65 if born before 1940. (The age to receive full benefits is gradually increasing to age 67 for widows and widowers born in 1940 or later.) Reduced widow or widower benefits can be received as early as age 60. If your surviving spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50. For more information on widows, widowers and other survivors, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ww&os2.htm .

Your widow or widower can receive benefits at any age if she or he takes care of your child who is entitled to a child’s benefit and is younger than age 16 or disabled.

Your unmarried children who are under age 18 (or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary or secondary school full time) also can receive benefits. Your children can get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled. Under certain circumstances, benefits also can be paid to your stepchildren, grandchildren or adopted children.

Your dependent parents can receive benefits if they are age 62 or older. (For your parents to ­qualify as dependents, you would have had to ­provide at least one-half of their support.)

Benefits for surviving divorced spouses

If you have been divorced, your former wife or husband who is age 60 or older (50-60 if disabled) can get benefits if your marriage lasted at least 10 years. Your former spouse, however, does not have to meet the age or length-of-marriage rule if he or she is caring for his/her child who is under age 16 or who is disabled and also entitled based on your work. The child must be your former spouse’s natural or legally adopted child."

• HadIt.com Elder

yes you are right the wat the law is written now my current wife and my ex wife #2 can both draw off my earnings, the current one since we will still be married when I die, and wife #2 because we were married more than 13 years, and my SSD benefit is a lot higher than her current husbands so when she is eligible she can choose between my acct or his, if I was her I would pick mine I get about double what he gets..SS widows benefits is a lot different for wives than it is for widowers these rules were written for women survivors not male lol