Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

% Needed To Appeal

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

Concerning my appeal to the DRO that I just sent in along with the IU form they sent with decision letter. I was rated 50% SC for PTSD. I appealed for a higher percentage and filled out the IU form they sent for unemployability. Doctor states I`m unemployable. My question is I`m only 50%, does that mean I will be denied because of low percentage for filing the appeal for IU or could I be given a 70% rate along with IU at the same time?

Cavman

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

How closely did you look at your medical record for other conditions that may have arisen while in service? You may luck out and find something like tinnitus [ringing and temporary hearing impairment in the ear(s)] or some other that folks don't usually think about unless it's mentioned.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good point since my medicl records are a mess. I did not get copies when I got discharged and had to try and get them piece by piece over the years. Some big chunks are missing. The only stuff I cared about was the psychiatric stuff for my initial claim. Record keeping during the Vietnam era was just terrible. I don't think most got copies of their records at discharge and many did not get discharge physicals.

How closely did you look at your medical record for other conditions that may have arisen while in service? You may luck out and find something like tinnitus [ringing and temporary hearing impairment in the ear(s)] or some other that folks don't usually think about unless it's mentioned.

I have since filed claims for tinnitus and 2 claims secondary to ptsd (insomnia & gerd/barretts esophagus. I went to a hearing test today and the doc says my hearing is bad in writing. I probably should have filed a hearing claim also. I just remembered I was blown off an infantry track in Nam when we hit a mine and I now have 3 herniated disc. I probably have filed enough for now with the letter saying I`m unemployable coming soon from my head doc.

Cavman