VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To File For Temp100% After Surgery?

Rate this question

Nathan104

Question

I searched for this and what I found Im not sure if its right.

I had back surgery in April. My doctor wrote a note that my recovery period would be three months. I was told I can file to receive temp 100% for the recovery period. Now, what I found says that all I have to do is type up a letter stating I had surgery and am requesting a temporary 100% rating for my recovery period and include the letter from the dr. Is that all I need to do?

My back is service connected and the surgery was performed by a civilian dr through insurance. All the documentation from my surgery is in my c-file.

It just doesnt seem like it would be that simple. Thanks.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

There is a temporary 100% rating for convalescent period that is at least 1 month long for surgery involving any service connected disability.

In your case they should continue the 100% for 3 months.

Basically all you have to do is write the letter Nathan, and cite in it that you are requesting the appropriate Temporary 100% payment under auspices if 38 C.F.R. 4.30 (2006) and that you have attached your doctor's statement regarding this -and remind them this is due to surgery for your service connected back condition.

(send them a copy of that doctor's statement,not the original----they lose a lot)

There is a little more info here from M21-1:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:xcwtS5...=1&ie=UTF-8

Berta,

Do you have to have to be in the hospital for the 21 days?? I was in for 7 but I am still out from the doctors until my next post op appointment. It will be a year in November.

Tamara

Tamara- as I understand these regs- a vet can get 100% for 21 day hospitalization or for the convalescent period-if the hospital stay is shorter than 21 days but the convalescence is longer than one month.

Veterans in the PTSD inhouse program (usually 21 days) are eligible for the 100% temp hospital payment.I dont know if there is a special form for this but I do know that the VA automatically applies for vets in the PTSD program as long as they are service connected with PTSD.

If I were you I would read the regs at the links and then apply for the convalescence benefit and attach your doctor's statement.

The 3 month convalescence payment can even be extended with more medical information from a doctor stating that more time is needed to recover.

Thanks so much for the replies. I just wanted to make sure thats all I needed. I am not working with a vet service office or anything. I should probably just try to find someone around here to work with. Especially with my need to appeal my recent rating and filing for TDIU. Ill probably call the American Legion or someone around here tomorrow to find out what I need to do to get some help. I appreciate it.

Nathan

Berta-

Thanks so much. I ill definately look into things. I have to call back the VA office (American Legion) who helped me from the beginning. All I do know is that I feel crappy especially this time of the year. Damp, and cruddy and cold. I am hoping to get 100% so I can move to a warmer and less humid environment, wherever that may be.

Thanks again,

Tamara :(

Tamara- as I understand these regs- a vet can get 100% for 21 day hospitalization or for the convalescent period-if the hospital stay is shorter than 21 days but the convalescence is longer than one month.

Veterans in the PTSD inhouse program (usually 21 days) are eligible for the 100% temp hospital payment.I dont know if there is a special form for this but I do know that the VA automatically applies for vets in the PTSD program as long as they are service connected with PTSD.

If I were you I would read the regs at the links and then apply for the convalescence benefit and attach your doctor's statement.

The 3 month convalescence payment can even be extended with more medical information from a doctor stating that more time is needed to recover.