VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Help..going To Ro Wednesday

Cavman

Question

I need some advice. Hope I`m not being a pest. You guy`s do some great work and I do appreciate it.

Diagnosed 50% w/PTSD claim. I was sent IU form with decision letter. I appealed it immediately last month and sent a letter from myself explaining my reasons for appeal, letter from wife and a letter from my mother along with IU form. Wednesday I am hand carrying a letter from my doctor which is favorable to unemployability and the following new prescriptions I have been put on. (Lamictal 25mg, Klonofin & Cyclosenne 250mg) spelling may be wrong...Many of you have recommended hand carrying letters to RO to make sure they are placed in my file. Is this necessary? Also, where do I find info on the side effects of these drugs? Thanks sincerely for your help.

Once I`m done with this appeal I am thinking about appealing purple hearts and AO cancer denials. (If needed)

Cavman

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

12 answers to this question

I need some advice. Hope I`m not being a pest. You guy`s do some great work and I do appreciate it.

Diagnosed 50% w/PTSD claim. I was sent IU form with decision letter. I appealed it immediately last month and sent a letter from myself explaining my reasons for appeal, letter from wife and a letter from my mother along with IU form. Wednesday I am hand carrying a letter from my doctor which is favorable to unemployability and the following new prescriptions I have been put on. (Lamictal 25mg, Klonofin & Cyclosenne 250mg) spelling may be wrong...Many of you have recommended hand carrying letters to RO to make sure they are placed in my file. Is this necessary? Also, where do I find info on the side effects of these drugs? Thanks sincerely for your help.

Once I`m done with this appeal I am thinking about appealing purple hearts and AO cancer denials. (If needed)

Cavman

Cavman.

Given the RO's tendency to lose/misplace paper, coming away from the RO with a date-stamped copy of what you submitted is very important. I also really read the evidence cited by the RO in a claim acknowledgement letter since they will often omit necessary evidence - even if they have it in hand! I then send a Statement listing the missing items (so they know that I know.)

To get the side effects of drugs, just take the bottle(s) and enter the drug name in any search engine and you'll pick up all sorts of side effect info. Look for similar side effects from different drugs you're taking and if you have any SEs, point out that there are 2 or 3 drugs you take that cause the SE.

Best of luck, old man!

Objee

webmd is pretty good too, one that someone here turned me on to. It's good for doing research on a lot of things. One thing I've found is to trust more on what you read outside of the VA system on meds, their effects and side effects. You would also benefit reviewing your disabilities and inquire as to secondary conditions. These too are ratable via VA claimed as such.

I did file secondary claims regarding ptsd of gerd/barrettes esophagus and insomnia. Forgot about the hiatel hernia, not sure if it would get anywhere. Thanks for your advice guys and gals.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavman

Once I`m done with this appeal I am thinking about appealing purple hearts

Don't understand the above statement. Does it mean you are appealing the award of the purple hearts? Please explain.

pr

They certainly might have to award more than "0" if there was muscular damage.

Somewhere at hadit I posted a claim that a veteran won with retro back to 1953.The VA had given him a "0"SC rating for gun shot wound without much scarring and no pain.

He proved that the "0" was inappropriate when the GSW had done muscular damage.

VA fought him on this for years as the GSW was clear through and through-shot went right through his arm.

He succeed in only getting a 10% award but with the long years he continued this claim it was a lot of retro.

It might have been a CUE claim- I will try to find this and post it again here.

Berta,

Your reply makes me think of the service connected 0% rating I got for PTSD back in 1980. Actually, the claim was filed a couple months before the PTSD label was started. I had gone to the V.A. hospital to ask for help and told to file a claim and did. I was dignosed with chronic combat stress disorder. I have a copy of the finding. And of course I was rated 0% disability. I called the V.A. medical center in June of 2005 and asked for medical help again for PTSD and was told to file a claim and then I could get help. So its the same old story as 1980 except I am found 50% service connected this time and as you know should be moved to 100% with my appeal.

Would it be worth filing a CUE or not? Also, could it effect my current rating?

Cavman

CAVMAN- I have only a limited amount of time here and cannot read all of the posts-

I believe you asked about a filing a CUE claim on a 1980 PTSD decision.

You have a "0" SC PTSD rating. I see your point but I know of no PTSD vet yet who was successful in this type of CUE claim.The VA could say that you presented PTSD but not to a ratable degree.

If they quoted a legal citation in the decision and stated that , and the medical evidence in 1980 showed otherwise, you could attempt to CUE that decision.

Do you have their full decision from 1980?

However- I am posting the Myler decision as a new topic for you and all to read.

This was a very successful CUE claim regarding the lack of rating for muscular involvement of a gun shot wound. I think you might be able to potentially succeed in this type of CUE rather then the PTSD CUE.

Do not hesitate to try both though-

Cues depend on Legal errors in final VA decisions. I have posted a lot of info (others too) here under CUE claims.

If they gave you a "0" rating for the gun shot wound you suffered and it most probably involved some muscular system-you could use the Myler claim as a template to prepare the CUE on that.

I am posting it separately because this way there will be a searchable link to it- it took me quite some time to find it this AM at hadit.