Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thyroid Cancer

Rate this question

qrdgv2tebc

Question

To all

I found out last week that i have thyroid cancer, got my medical clarence yesterday, so i will be going into the hospital end of of the month for the operation, has anyone had this operation, and how did it effect you after the operation. is thyroid cancer in anyway connected to AO. would apprecieate any input from people who have already has this operation. when i was at my BVA hearing i talk to one of the people working there, i told him i was having the operation, he told me to put in a claim under AO as long as your doctor states it is more likely that not cause by exposer to AO.

Patrick

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Patrick-that is very interesting that she knew about PFC White-this hearing might have gone well for you- in any event-I certainly regret you have this cancer but as long as it falls into the AO regs -I am sure that you have a very valid Agent Orange claim.

You right about the patrols,of course, and this put you there as exposed to Agent Orange- this mentions the rotations:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...91/ai_112687395

It makes sense too- to patrol the DMZ (AO was not sprayed on the Demarcation line itself) the military did all they could to keep down growth of weeds and grasses for good clear lines of vision towards the DMZ.

Cybersarge has an interesting BVA claim mentioned here Patrick. I never saw this before on his sight.

http://cybersarges.tripod.com/aoinkorea.html

There is a Camp Casey soldier mentioned named Benbow who apparently got the first Korea vet AO award from the BVA.

Does the name Guard Post Gladys mean anything to you? Where the runoff went into the canteen water?

This is a good site Patrick- and there might be something there to help you- but- with the STS type of cancer and your unit's known and established exposure-this claim should certainly be very valid for an AO award.

Men and women the gov says that as many as from 4,000 to 12,000 men might have been exposed to AO when they patroled the DMZ.

The spraying was done by Koreans but the effects certainly have been disabling to veterans.

Who would have thought , after the Korean War ended, that patroling the DMZ would give one a AO disability?

I still believe that AO was used in many other ways, even on US bases, to control weed growth and to affect veterans with AO diseases.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

In consideration of the above findings, Mr. O'Donovan has been advised Near-total Thyroidectomy for histopathological analysis to determine the need for radioactive Iodine Ablation, If nodule turn out to be malignant My doctor to;d me that on most occations when the you have a hypofuntctioning nodule[COLD NODULE] it is most always maliginant[70%], I hope i am in the[30%].

Patrick,

I am hoping that we are both in the 30%, as my right thyroid is a cold nodule also.

I had the PET for Cancer and the glucose tracer went to it.

I am expecting upon surgery to find Cancer also.

So far, my scans look non-cancerous, but you can't be for certain, until the surgeon goes in to get it.

God Bless,

Josephine

To all

I found out last week that i have thyroid cancer, got my medical clarence yesterday, so i will be going into the hospital end of of the month for the operation, has anyone had this operation, <snip>

Patrick

Patrick,

Sorry to hear about you having Thyroid Cancer! I want you to know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers! I don't have any of the answers to you questions. My husband has a nodule on his thyroid that had to be checked to be sure it wasn't cancerous. Thank God, his wasn't. I'm a survivor of Uterine Cancer, and know many other cancer survivors....I will be adding your name to that group soon!!!

Love and Prayers,

Gwen

Wife of 100% TDIU P&T Vietnam Veteran

<snip> She is bed-bound and just last week broke her ankle trying to get up for the bathroom by herself. Again, overall, the thyroid CA is her least problem.

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear about Judy breaking her ankle....she has been through so much! Please send her my love and let her know that she is in my prayers!

Hugs,

Gwen

Wife of 100% TDIU P&T Vietnam Veteran

Patrick-that is very interesting that she knew about PFC White-this hearing might have gone well for you- in any event-I certainly regret you have this cancer but as long as it falls into the AO regs -I am sure that you have a very valid Agent Orange claim.

You right about the patrols,of course, and this put you there as exposed to Agent Orange- this mentions the rotations:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...91/ai_112687395

It makes sense too- to patrol the DMZ (AO was not sprayed on the Demarcation line itself) the military did all they could to keep down growth of weeds and grasses for good clear lines of vision towards the DMZ.

Cybersarge has an interesting BVA claim mentioned here Patrick. I never saw this before on his sight.

http://cybersarges.tripod.com/aoinkorea.html

There is a Camp Casey soldier mentioned named Benbow who apparently got the first Korea vet AO award from the BVA.

Does the name Guard Post Gladys mean anything to you? Where the runoff went into the canteen water?

This is a good site Patrick- and there might be something there to help you- but- with the STS type of cancer and your unit's known and established exposure-this claim should certainly be very valid for an AO award.

Men and women the gov says that as many as from 4,000 to 12,000 men might have been exposed to AO when they patroled the DMZ.

The spraying was done by Koreans but the effects certainly have been disabling to veterans.

Who would have thought , after the Korean War ended, that patroling the DMZ would give one a AO disability?

I still believe that AO was used in many other ways, even on US bases, to control weed growth and to affect veterans with AO diseases.

Hi to all

Yes Berta, i guess since the North Koreans have been in the News lately, maybe the Judge decided to do some research on went on with the American soldiers on the Z. The guard post have change names over the years many times, the last time i was on the Z in 83-86, they were called Guard Post Collier and Guard Post Ouelette, but the hostile acts never stoped, the North Korean still play there loud speakers no-stop, 24 hours a day, seven day a week. it really messes with your mind. as i am typeing this i can hear them now in my mind.

I look up some BVA cases, but not to many vets received S/C for Thyroid Cancer, but i found one that stuck out. because it fits me, i have chronic fatigability, depression, and weight gain, Berta i have gain so much weight and i am in pain 24/7., i am only 5ft. 5 inches, seven month's ago i was at about 185 lbs that was OK with me, now i am 210 to 215 lbs, but my diet is the same, i am not eating anymore food than i did seven month's ago. and as you know i also have gastrointestinal problems.

But in this case they never ask the vet about AO or Radiation but it granted S/C .

this is the case.

Citation Nr: 0534553

Decision Date:12/22/05

Archive Date: 01/10/06

Docket No" 01-05-509

Patrick