VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions On Solidifying Claim

Rate this question

tdubya82

Question

Strong medical nexus is needed for these claims, meaning a definitive diagnosis, treatment records, and a strong statement that shows these are as least as likely as not due to your war service.

Unfortunately these days, many vets have to seek independent medical opinions to connect the medical dots.

But dont worry about that yet.

Have you read over all of the Gulf War regs here carefully?

" eosinophilic esophagitis (w/ dysphagia, no allergies involved, having another endoscopy done next month to see if acid is causing it)" This could be secondary to the GERD.

I am not a doctor however.

"After years of getting dicked around, the VA finally convinced me it was all in my head, so I walked away feeling like a scumbag."

Do you have any private treatment records since service for any of the disabilities above?

Thank you for your service. I am glad you went back to VA and found a responsive doctor.

And YES , many GW Vets have succeeded in their claims. Many have been awarded under the GW Presumptive regulations.

What do you mean by a CMI claim?

I have been researching this, and doing a lot of reading. You need to have a "diagnosis" of no diagnosis of the Gulf War presumptives. They recognize IBS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia. You already have a diagnosis for IBS. If you can get a diagnosis for CFS or Fibro you can claim those as CMI (chronic multisymptom Illness). You shouldn't have to have a nexus statement, but ask your doctor, if he feels comfortable giving an opinion "that your symptoms are at least as likely as not related to your service". (My doc stated more likely than not). It sounds like you have the symptoms of CFS and/or Fibro, you just need to get a diagnosis. If you can't get a diagnosis of one or both of them, then get a doc to say that the etiology of your symptoms is unknown.

Does this sound familiar?

I wake up in the morning fatigued and in pain. I have muscle stiffness, and sometimes I just can't get out of bed. I have problems with memory recall, short term memory loss, and get confused easily. I have IBS, which causes constant abdominal distress/pain. I have headaches, which worsen as I become more physically or mentally active.

I could write pages of all the symptoms, and how it affects me, but hopefully this is enough that you see that you are not the only one, and this is real. Definitely make a claim for the problems, and read the va and other websites to learn about the gulf war illness/CMI.

I have not found any treatment that works for everyone, but there are medications and some therapy that helps the symptoms. Everything i have read and studied says there is no cure. Hot bath/hot tub therapy gives me some relief, and bed rest on the days when it is really bad.

I have not been awarded anything at this point, but I have spent the last year studying this, and if you have any questions please let me know, I may be able to answer them. I was not prepared when I submitted my original claim, and it was denied, but I am not giving up. There is a lot of success with these claims, you just have to have the required evidence.

I also recommend that you research and read BVA decisions. It will open your eyes to the mistakes people make when they submit there claims, and also show you the evidence presented in a successful appeal.

Edited by k5one

I would focus on making a really strong claim for PTSD. If you can get rated at 70% and you aren't working then you could file for TDIU.

Gulf War illness claims can be incredibly difficult to win. A lot of the VAROs don't really understand the rules on how to process them regarding the diagnosed issues versus undiagnosed, then the presumptive regulations Versus needing a nexus statement. They're very complicated claims.