Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seizure &/or Menieres Disease Claim Help

Rate this question

helman35

Question

I have been following Hadit for several months to gain knowledge for my claim. I have a questions and need guidance. In 1996 I had the American Legion help with a claim. I was not diagnosed but through the explanations of my ailments they Claimed Seizure Disorder. I was seen for a C&P exam in Biloxi which was not honestly an exam, but the Primary Care Physician and Neurologist I saw after the C&P Exam were treating for Seizure Disorder. What my symptoms were, loss of balance, dizzy spells, nausea and tinnitus. I was treated for about 4 or so years and just stopped going. I honestly did not know how or what the claim process was. I assumed since I was being treated the Claim was moving forward. I gave up. This year my brother who retired as a E-9 called me and asked me details about my claim. I believe he thought I received a Compensation. I told him I never heard from the American Legion or VA on a denial or approval. So he suggested I start a new claim, and maybe I didn't have Seizures but Meniere's Disease. I called the New Orleans RO to ask about my 1996 Claim and was told that I was denied and the denail was a generic code. The New Orleans RO started a claim for me an have listed these as the Disabilities Claimed.

Disabilities Claimed: HEAD INJURY W/ EQUILIBRIUM RESIDUALS; possible Meniere's Disease or Vertigo (New), RESPIRATORY CONDITION (New), BILATERAL ANKLE INJURY (New), SINUSITIS (New)

Since I felt I was misdiagnosed with Seizures vs Meniere's Disease, will the C&P Exam indicate this? Should I list Seizures as well as the Meniere's Disease? In my treatment records it shows I have the symptoms of Meniere's Disease, but they list them under my diagnosed Seizures. I always wondered why they were treating me for Seizures, honestly I thought hey they are Doctors maybe this is what is wrong with me although I never blacked out or had convulsions. Should I include Seizures on my Claim?

helman35

Edited by helman35

I would follow her advice. She is extremely knowledgeable of the VA claims process.

01/22/2015

Freedom of Information Act / Privacy Act Request

02/20/2015 Appeal Is Possible View Appeals Status

Georgiapapa, I just looked at the FOIA request and it shows it closed on 2/20/2015 and states an Appeal is Possible. Is this saying that asking for a copy of my C-File has been denied? I thought you were entitled to your C-File.

I have never heard of the VA denying a veteran a copy of their C-file. Also, everything a veteran receives from the VA states an appeal is possible. Yesterday I received my latest "Veterans Healthcare Handbook" and the VA also included a notice in the package stating "an appeal is possible" if I did not agree with my personal info in the handbook. I don't think the notation on ebenefits is anything for you to be concerned about. JMO

Ok, so you think this maybe standard practice with everything they decide on? Because of my last claim with them in 1996 I am apprehensive when it comes to the VA. I want to make sure I am on top of everything I can be.

Yes.

Welcome aboard and sorry to hear of your troubles bud. A lot of good advice has been given above, and the weird thing is I have a Test next Wednesday for that same issue. I am Service connected for Migraines/TBI and I get dizzy and nausea a lot, but didn't know if it was due to my multiple different medical issues. Well I guess we will see what the results are. Good luck and God Bless!!!