VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Making Appointments At Vamc

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I figured we would see a change in the appointment times since the Phoenix scandal...

But at my VAMC nothing has changed, it still takes 2 or 3 months to be seen no matter what your condition;

Now I had hand surgery in Feb 2nd...and went back each week because my surgeon made the appointments...now the last time I was there the surgeon ask me to stop out at the desk clerks to make an appointment in 6 weeks...I said ok I went out front to tell them what he Dr said for me to do and the lady never wrote anything down she just told me to go on home that the Dr would put it in the computer I said are you sure she said yes...

yesterday (5 weeks later) I had to go to my VAMC to the Dentist and decided to go to the surgery clnic and check on my appointment...they could not find any appointments for me.

I wish I had some good private insurance although I am sure my hand surgery ain't going to kill me but what about a serious condition that may arouse? VA is scaring me.

.....................Buck!

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

You should try to get in touch with your hand surgeon and make him aware of what happened and what you were told by the desk clerk (jerk). Maybe he can work you in or at least try to get you a quicker appointment. If that doesn't work, I would go to the VAMC Director's office and let them know if they can't help you, your next call or email would be to Bob McDonald or Allowed son Hickey.

After surgery, it is important to follow up with your doctors as instructed so they can see that you are healing properly and progressing with your hand therapy. Don't let the VA short change you. You deserve better. JMO

Good luck and take care of yourself and your better half.

GP

Buck,

Excuse my typo for Allison Hickey's first name. My I Pad takes it upon itself to replace my words with words of its own through automatic spell check. I should have proof read my post better before I hit the red button.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand GP,

I'll see what they say at the VMAC level, its hard to ask the Surgeon they either tell me they will let him know or he is not in.

even with an appointment my last two visit was a wait time of 2 1/2 hours and I was there 45 min before check in time & check in 30 minutes before my appointment time. one time they went to lunch eh!

btw my hand is better but not 100% & I been doing what the surgeon told me to do but at least I can open my hand now.

I just worry if something bad ever came up would I or any veteran be treated the same way? answer is Yes!

They just seem to be making more and more effort in renovating with new interior, new construction ,new parking garages all at the VAMC...and not have respect or any consideration for the veteran health...the VAMC I am referring to is the DALLAS VA MEDICAL CENTER!

its totally a mess here!

..................Buck!

Buck,

I am glad your hand is better. It just ticks me off to see the kind of crap you and other vets have to deal with at your VAMCs. I am fortunate to have good health insurance so my contact with my VAMC is minimal. I actually feel guilty that all vets aren't afforded the same level of medical care I have access to as a result of my medicare and health insurance provided as a result of my federal employment when I retired. Veterans deserve the best health care available and they are not receiving it. I know I keep repeating this but it needs to be repeated until it happens.

Good luck and take care my friend.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

GP

Thanks Buddy!

I am shopping around for some private medical insurance, my wife has ChampVA as you know and now she has some supplemental insurance but its to high to add me, she even had a join a military group to get the insurance? Why we don't know? that's what the lady at the supplemental insurance company told her and gave her the phone number to join..so she join up its 25.00 a year for membership , the supplemental insurance for her is 74.00 a month but we figured its worth it.

if it takes over 30 days for me to be seen at the VA..I will seek private care some where?

No need to feel guilty GP you have to take care of you and your family, I had good insurance when I could work but I had to stop working in 1999, and couldn't afford the coverage anymore.

.....................Buck!