Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Related To "do I Have Ptsd" Post

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I didn't want to hijack his thread, so I started this one.

If you are already SC for Severe Depression, but have a stressor (non-combat) and symptoms of PTSD, how do you go about changing it from 1 to the other? Im currently seeing both Psychiatric and Psychologist, 1 monthly (for now) and 1 weekly. Im 'employed' in the sense that im on FMLA leave for depression, anxiety, mood flare ups, lapses of concentration of anything but rote memory procedures, memory blanks, insomnia. I work as a support engineer for hospital location systems for patient safety and over the last year and a half ive had over 40 absences from work mostly due to above, and performance issues as well. I was told on the sly that if I didn't take FMLA I would probably get fired-3rd job in 8 years for these issues.

I was injured and discharged due to the failure of an obstacle during a field exercise. I ruptured two lumbar discs by falling onto a SINGARS radio ruck as I climbed some arbitrary obstacle during our 'Victory Forge' exercise. I fell about 10 feet and landed on the ruck right across the lower hips. I didn't know what it was at the time, just that it hurt like fire, and was told that If I wanted to graduate Basic that I had to finish- so, I road marched 12 miles with a ruck and weapon. Then went to sick call. Ibuprofen. Was not allowed an MRI until after I went got to AIT, and that was 2 months later. Along the way I was subjected to charges of malingering, 'sick call soldier' by both cadre and company, while daily dealing with major pain and neuropathy in my toes and feet. Depression, limited *shit* duties, no passes, no classes, no graduation(s). I watched 5 AIT classes including my own AND the recycles get moved to other posts after graduation and I was continuously bunked with the NOOBS, so I got everything they got. Nobody believed me until after my MRI- suddenly 'Oh shit, Satterfield, you are broken, like for real!" but still, nothing changed while I waited for my MEB/PEB to come back

Finally, after a year of this, I was discharged honorably at 0% by the Army. That was in 2001. So, now I am dealing with the after effects of all this-depression, chronic pain, feeling like a failure, 'failure' to adapt into normal corporate culture, always feeling anxious or paranoid that everyone is talking about me (boss, co workers), that every office call in is a negative where Ill get crap duty or something. Constantly hounded at work, coworkers dont like me because im jumpy, etc.

So, that's me in a nutshell. Currently rated 70% for depression and riding the edge of termination from work. 90% overall, 40% for pain, etc.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Don't know about changing mental disorders with the VA but you could put in for an increase with the PTSD symptoms....maybe somebody on here could chime in on this...you could probably get TDIU but you can't be emoloyed.

Thanks,. My current job is a contributor to some of my stresses and just pushes my buttons. Ive grown 'out' of my job over the last 10 yrs in varying capacities. I will end up exhausting my FMLA anyway on this leave alone and I have no illusions about my workplace taking me back regardless of how good of an engineer I am.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

No, civilian Medical Security equipment/server/network monitoring provider.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff