Cannabis

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"I thought the rating criteria remained the same throughout the claim."

It is always possible that a rating criteria could change during the course of a claim....it doesn't happen to often and I dont think they have changed the MH ratings in over 30 years.

But the link shows they changed the 'criteria' for the ratings specifically for PTSD..

Maybe what I said doesnt make sense.

Here is a copy of that whole link:

"DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria for PTSD Released

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders provides standard criteria and common language for the classification of mental disorders. It is published by the American Psychiatric Association. The fifth revision (DSM-5) was released in May 2013. This revision includes changes to the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and Acute Stress Disorder.

The reason the PTSD diagnostic criteria were revised is to take into account things we have learned from scientific research and clinical experience.
What are the major revisions to the PTSD diagnosis?
Classification

PTSD (as well as Acute Stress Disorder) moved from the class of anxiety disorders into a new class of "trauma and stressor-related disorders." All of the conditions included in this classification require exposure to a traumatic or stressful event as a diagnostic criterion. The rationale for the creation of this new class is based upon clinical recognition of variable expressions of distress as a result of traumatic experience. The necessary criteria of exposure to trauma links the conditions included in this class; the homogeneous expression of anxiety or fear-based symptoms, anhedonic and dysphoric symptoms, externalizing anger or aggressive symptoms, dissociative symptoms, or some combination of those listed differentiates the diagnoses within the class (1).
Diagnostic criteria

Overall, the symptoms of PTSD are mostly the same in DSM-5 as compared to DSM-IV. A few key alterations include:

The three clusters of DSM-IV symptoms are divided into four clusters in DSM-5: intrusion, avoidance, negative alterations in cognitions and mood, and alterations in arousal and reactivity. DSM-IV Criterion C, avoidance and numbing, was separated into two criteria: Criteria C (avoidance) and Criteria D (negative alterations in cognitions and mood). The rationale for this change was based upon factor analytic studies, and now requiresat least one avoidance symptom for PTSD diagnosis.
Three new symptoms were added:

Criteria D (negative alterations in cognitions and mood): persistent and distorted blame of self or others, and persistent negative emotional state
Criteria E (alterations in arousal and reactivity): reckless or destructive behavior

Other symptoms were revised to clarify symptom expression.
Criterion A2 (requiring fear, helplessness, or horror happen right after the trauma) was removed in DSM-5. Research suggests that Criterion A2 did not improve diagnostic accuracy (2).

A clinical subtype "with dissociative symptoms" was added. The dissociative subtype is applicable to individuals who meet the criteria for PTSD and experience additional depersonalization and derealization symptoms (3).
Separate diagnostic criteria are included for children ages 6 years or younger (preschool subtype) (4).

What are the implications of these revisions?
Assessment

PTSD assessment measures, such as the PC-PTSD, CAPS, and PCL, are being revised by the National Center for PTSD to be made available upon validation of the instruments. Please see our Assessments section for more information. "

and it goes on a little more (at the above link at VA)

Was there anything in the new C & P results that concerned you, as to your request for a higher rating?

Going back to your first post here:

"I was rated at 50% sc for ptsd + mdd + cannabis dependence in 2011.

They used DSM-IV as rating criteria.

now I am opening the case. (new & material evidence; CUE)

Had C&P last week."

You certainly might be eligible for TDIU paid at the 100% rate.

Did you file a TDIU form when you re=opened?

You certainly had enough New and material evidence to warrant a new C & P and maybe the exam went better than you think.

I am so glad you have a supportive daughter....if my daughter had not kept on me, I would have never re opened my claim many years ago.

do you receive SSI or SSDI?

If so is it solely for the service connected disabilities you have now?

You said something that has saddened and angered me for 3 decades....they make it so hard for anyone with MH issues to do this stuff.You have plenty of good company here on that.

And even if a claimant doesn't have PTSD to start with, the VA might give it to them.

I dont trust VS0s either but you have a very good claim for a higher rating in my opinion, and certainly have taken the time to study the ratings criteria.

Maybe would your daughter be willing to go with you to an appointment with a vet rep but then again, the C & P exam might have gone well.

Do the results contain any statements as to a higher percentage or that your SCs have made you unemployable?

Did the C & P doctor or any other doctor consider you might have agoraphobia ?

Because that,in my opinion, if and when they award TDIU, that would warrant SMC S at the housebound level.An additional monetary amount.

Agoraphobia is so common to many many PTSD vets and none of this is anything any vet should ever be ashamed of.It sounds like you have dealt with a lot more than anyone knows.

Thank you for your service! I only hope your claim gets the kind of service it deserves from the VA.......

Do you have a mailing address and mail box where you live? And is the PC you use in your home or easily accessible for ebenefits or any VA email contact if that happens?

You also mentioned CUE...Do you believe the initial 50% award was wrong?

If so, that is something to think about but best to wait until this claim is decided,I think.

Another thing too, our kids often see stuff in VA lingo and medical records that we don't see.

My daughter, when she was in the military, kept telling me her dad had diabetes and I should file for that as it had become an AO presumptive.

She had noticed symptoms when he was alive that I attributed to his misdiagnosed conditions.and even to his PTSD, But when I started to go through his medical records and learned what diabetes was all about, she was right.

No diagnose and no treatment at all from VA. and it took 6 years but they awarded DMII as contributing to his death, at the BVA level.

Our kids often can help us tremendously to weed through some of the VA stuff we have to go through.