• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Helifino

Va Sent Me A Bill For 2014 Outpatient Visits And Hospitalization

Question

I'll try to make this short, but my blood is boiling after receiving this bill, so excuse me if I go off on a rant.

09/27/13 - Social Security makes a decision that I'm 100% disabled. They give me a lump sum check for time they said I should have received from SSDI, and I start getting a check each month. Of course, immediately upon receiving the check, every city, county, state, and federal agency/office/what-have-you wants part of it. I do my duty and pay all my "debts."

I have been receiving VA medical care since about 2008. Before then, I didn't even know I was eligible, or that there was such a thing, until I needed a medication I could afford, applied through the pharmaceutical company for help, and they told me I was eligible for VA medical and needed to apply to VA to get it. I didn't believe them and thought they were wasting time. Turns out I was eligible, and had been since 1982, but was never told that. When I got out, I got my honorable discharge papers, a certificate for a VA home loan, and a swift kick in the butt.

Since I've been getting VA medical care, I had never received a bill for medication nor for outpatient visits, etc., until about 6 months ago. That's when they started sending me outrageous bills for prescriptions. When I couldn't afford to pay the bills, they went to the Treasury Department and had them take it out of my SSDI checks, to the tune of over $100 a month! (If all you have is SSDI, you already know that you're only one step away from being homeless.) I told my doctor to cut off all my meds; that I wasn't going to take any of them anymore, because it was going to drive me into homelessness! Of course, he freaked out, but I meant it. So, he sends me to a VA Social Worker who helps me fill out another Means Test and a request for a waiver of the prescription bill. VA only waived part of the prescription bill, and I can't pay it. If I don't pay it, they will have the Treasury take it from me again, and I'll have other things that don't get paid because of it.

While I had a phone, and was talking to VA about the Means Test, they wanted to re-visit the onset of my SSDI checks, and that lump sum everybody had been chipping away at. One lady, very rudely told me that they were going to take another look at my means tests and may, in fact, charge me for all of the services I had gotten from VA because of that lump sum. I told the lady that I had put everything, truthfully, on every means test I have ever done, and that all my SSDI payments were on the Means Tests. Not only that, but they get reports from the IRS about all of our tax returns! So where is the problem? Is there a problem? It's not like this lump sum from SSDI was a million dollars or anything even remotely close to that! Not only that, but part of the reason I am so FUBAR'd now is because VA messed me around for 7 years on getting a knee replacement that they admitted I needed, back in 2008! 7 years, I fought with anybody and everybody at the Cheyenne VAMC and the Fort Collins and Greeley clinics! I even got my Congressman involved (though that didn't do much good). The only thing that got the VA moving on my knee, was when they got exposed for letting all those people die down in Arizona, because of lying about patient appointment times, waitlists, and waitlists for waitlists, WHICH, I was subjected to -- the "radar" or the "waitlist for the waitlist" as I was told. Only when VA got exposed nationally, and in the media, did the suddenly decide I could get my knee replaced at a civilian hospital -- so, on 9/16/2014, I finally got my knee replaced.

Now, I also applied for VA Disability (they call it compensation, I think). I didn't think I qualified to do that either, so you see, I am not trying to take advantage. I always assume that I'm not qualified for anything, or I don't even know about it, and no one cares, so I should just shut up. But while the Vet's office at the local workforce center was trying to help me find a job (while I was all crippled up, and had been on crutches for years), they started talking to me about the physical things that are wrong with me and when those happened. They decided that I should file a Disability Claim through VA. They even helped with navigate through it and filled it out for me, while I was sitting there. A year and a half, or so, later, of course, VA denied everything in my claim. They said that, since I couldn't show a "continuity of care" for any of my claim items, they didn't exist, I guess. Of course, that's a bunch of bull-oney, because if your younger, have no health care for a period of time, and something is physically bothering you, you just tough it out because you can't afford to go to the doctor. That's what really happened. It didn't go away, I just couldn't afford to get medical attention. And, surprise! That's why I am disabled today! When you don't, or can't take care of yourself when you need to, it catches up to you when you get old. Go figure! So, my response to the rejection of the claim was to feel like my time in the service didn't matter to them, and that their lawyers were going to eat me alive if I even attempted to appeal. (Obviously, I can't afford a lawyer... I'm on SSDI!) So, even though I know, and VA knows for a fact that I was injured while on active duty (I kept copies of my active duty medical file), VA insists that those things never happened.

So, VA is denying that I got hurt while on active duty, never notified me that I was eligible for VA healthcare until I found out by accident in 2008, I've been living below the poverty level since 2005, I'm 100% disabled, and the first time I get any extra money, VA decides to, retroactively charge me for all my doctor's visits for a whole year, and the hospitalization for my knee replacement, oh, and my prescriptions! I can't make ends meet now, and have to sell my plasma twice a week, to try to make ends meet, and each month, fall short. It's a never-ending cycle of stress, and now, VA wants me to pay them about $2,000??? Where in the world am I going to get the money to pay for that? I rarely leave my house as it is now, because I have no money... what do they want? My left arm? They say you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip, but the VA can and will! They will go through the Treasury and take it out of my SSDI and make me fall short on all my other bills.

What am I supposed to do about this? It's not like I can go get a 2nd or 3rd job, like I used to! Can someone please help with me some information about this? I don't even have a phone to call them! I can't even afford that!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Anharris
      Hello,
      Quick background; I injured my back severely in Kuwait in 2013(I was 22) no proper medical exam or treatment at the peek of the injury just pumped full of pain meds. Once back in the states it still took months before Someone decided I actually needed an xray just to be told I was fine. There were times where I’d experience temporary paralysis below the waist, daily pain levels above 5, numbness, pinching and burning sensations in lower back and to be told nothing was wrong made me want to give up and suffer in silence because no1 seem to take me serious. However the pain was so intense I found myself in the ER sometimes twice a week with strange knots in my back that were shrugged off as muscle spasms and just given more pain meds. I was given a 10% rating after separating in 2014. I didn’t know what that meant or why. Almost 7yrs later the pain is worse back and forth with the VA with treatment that either aggravates or just doesn’t work and I recently discovered that I was diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain BUT it stated it didn’t come from work. I couldn’t believe it. I now live in MD near DC and although terribly discouraged feel I need to fight what seems to be a system that hasn’t cared for me properly since day 1 and appeal. The question is. IS IT WORTH IT? I paid out of pocket for X-rays and made some discoveries about my back that make much more since than what the VA tells me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
    • By Iceman's_Wife
      Question:   VA Form 21-526EZ page 8 section 13.     Should all the items from the VA Problem list (medical records) be included on the form, including secondary problems and other items such as diabetes or ONLY the service connected problems?   Post Vietnam, no AO
        My spouse's condition has deteriorated in the last 10 years and we need to be re-evaluated.   Last year, the VA Rep submitted a claim and the Comp&Pen Doctor asked us for an MRI.   From there it gets murky trying to get assistance for documentation.

• By Iceman's_Wife
      My question:  Should all items that impact his disability be listed on the VA Form 21-526EZ?   If something is secondary such as pain, that should be listed?   
      BACKGROUND:  I need assistance with VA Form 21-526EZ.    On page 8 section 13, it asks for the list of disabilities.    Does this mean ALL items from his problem list (VA medical records)?    For example I can easily extract 20 items from his VA medical problem list BUT the VA Veterans Advisor only posted 4 line items which do NOT give a complete picture. 
      1.  paralysis external nerve (mild)
      2. lumoscaral strain  (mild)
      3. paralysis median nerve  (mild)
      4. degenerative arthritis of spine  (mild)
      After 10+ years of progressive degeneration, a year ago, we submitted a form for re-evaluation of his service-connected medical conditions.   The MRI from the 2009 determination is missing from his records.  The comp&pen Dr indicated that it was our responsibility to provide documentation to him on what changed.   We assumed that the comp&pen doctor would conduct an exam/order MRI or could extract the information from his records.   He also indicated that pain (consistently documented as 9/10) is not a consideration for disability, that it is immaterial to VA.   
      Only one (from the 4 listed) line items was increased 10%.   The current MRI indicates his spine has moderate to severe degeneration.  
      The VA Veterans Advisor indicated that we should NOT resubmit again unless we can get a doctors statement specifically indicating which line item has progressed from mild.  I have asked the Spinal Cord Injury Primary Care doctor for assistance, provided her with research documentation and she said she would but that was 2 months ago and nothing was put in his records.  
      In advance, thank you

• Ads

• Our picks

• Peggy toll free 1000 last week, told me that, my claim or case BVA Granted is at the RO waiting on someone to sign off ,She said your in step 5 going into step 6 . That's good, right.?
      • 6 replies
    • I took a look at your documents and am trying to interpret what happened. A summary of what happened would have helped, but I hope I am interpreting your intentions correctly:

2003 asthma denied because they said you didn't have 'chronic' asthma diagnosis

2018 Asthma/COPD granted 30% effective Feb 2015 based on FEV-1 of 60% and inhalational anti-inflamatory medication.

"...granted SC for your asthma with COPD w/dypsnea because your STRs show you were diagnosed with asthma during your military service in 1995.

First, check the date of your 2018 award letter. If it is WITHIN one year, file a notice of disagreement about the effective date. 

If it is AFTER one year, that means your claim has became final. If you would like to try to get an earlier effective date, then CUE or new and material evidence are possible avenues. 

I assume your 2003 denial was due to not finding "chronic" or continued symptoms noted per 38 CFR 3.303(b). In 2013, the Federal Circuit court (Walker v. Shinseki) changed they way they use the term "chronic" and requires the VA to use 3.303(a) for anything not listed under 3.307 and 3.309. You probably had a nexus and benefit of the doubt on your side when you won SC.

It might be possible for you to CUE the effective date back to 2003 or earlier. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the restrictions of CUE. It has to be based on the evidence in the record and laws in effect at the time the decision was made. Avoid trying to argue on how they weighed a decision, but instead focus on the evidence/laws to prove they were not followed or the evidence was never considered. It's an uphill fight. I would start by recommending you look carefully at your service treatment records and locate every instance where you reported breathing issues, asthma diagnosis, or respiratory treatment (albuterol, steroids, etc...). CUE is not easy and it helps to do your homework before you file.

Another option would be to file for an increased rating, but to do that you would need to meet the criteria for 60%. If you don't meet criteria for a 60% rating, just ensure you still meet the criteria for 30% (using daily inhaled steroid inhalers is adequate) because they are likely to deny your request for increase. You could attempt to request an earlier effective date that way.

Does this help?
    • Thanks for that. So do you have a specific answer or experience with it bouncing between the two?
    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
    • Precedent Setting CAVC cases cited in the M21-1
      A couple months back before I received my decision I started preparing for the appeal I knew I would be filing.  That is how little faith I had in the VA caring about we the veteran. 

One of the things I did is I went through the entire M21-1 and documented every CAVC precedent case that the VA cited. I did this because I wanted to see what the rater was seeing.  I could not understand for the life of me why so many obviously bad decisions were being handed down.  I think the bottom line is that the wrong type of people are hired as raters.  I think raters should have some kind of legal background.  They do not need to be lawyers but I think paralegals would be a good idea.

There have been more than 3500 precedent setting decisions from the CAVC since 1989.  Now we need to concede that all of them are not favorable to the veteran but I have learned that in a lot of cases even though the veteran lost a case it some rules were established that assisted other veterans.

The document I created has about 200 or so decisions cited in the M21-1.   Considering the fact that there are more than 3500 precedent cases out there I think it is safe to assume the VA purposely left out decisions that would make it almost impossible to deny veteran claims.  Case in point. I know of 14 precedent setting decisions that state the VA cannot ignore or give no weight to outside doctors without providing valid medical reasons as to why.  Most of these decision are not cited by the M21.

It is important that we do our due diligence to make sure we do not get screwed.  I think the M21-1 is incomplete because there is too much information we veterans are finding on our own to get the benefits we deserve

M21-1 Precedent setting decisions .docx
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines