Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson's With Major Depression

Rate this question

caseyez

Question

Hi everone, I am new and this is my first post. I am currently SC for 70%. I just recieved my new claim for Parkinson's and only recieved 40% total. They tied my basic 30% Parkinsons together with my 30% Major Depression and only gave me 30% for the two, I had antother 10% item and several ohers that were noncompensable. I was very disapointed. The big question though has anyone ever hear of them combining Parkinsons and Major Depression together like that and giving only 30% for both and not 60%? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks Casey

Here is the VA Schedule of Ratings;

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c130ec487ea61b8a40ad0836188b94bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38

The diagnostic codes and rating criteria is about have way down this document.BUT disregard my advise on that.regarding th Parkinsons.

:"If you look for Parkinson's in the Impairment Rating Tables (38 CFR Part 4), you won't find a listing for Parkinson's Disease. "

Source http://www.attiglawfirm.com/shoot/va-rate-veterans-parkinsons-disease/

Chris Attig, a member here and a vet lawyer ,has some excellent info on Parkinsons ratings and he is right, if is very difficult, even at the BVA web site, to properly determine how VA should rate Parkinsons and it;'s residuals.

I sure agree with Warren that a private neurologist would be the best bet to have your residuals properly rated.

As Chris's site show in the link, you got the lowest rating possible.

Do you get SSDI and if so is it for the Parkinsons?

T"here are several more marked as "None which I disagree with some of those, there where also others that never made it to to the DBQ. If you still need the copy of the DBQ let me know after I figure out how to send them. "

Just cover the C file number, name, address, and scan and attach the SBQ like you did with the decision.

Parkinsons, in my opinion, is something the VA knows little about, unless the DBQ was done by a bonafide Neuro doctor and it probably wasnt..
Even if it was, however, it could be wrong.

If you seek an independent medical opinion ( which might have to include a one to one exam,) by a non VA neuro, they need to follow the IMo criteria here in our IMO forum which I recently bumped up.

Chris attig has good info and I found very little at BVA as to any rating info on this disability.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta and Warren

I think you both are right about the outside doctor. The person that did my C&P was a nurse practitioner and seemed to be very new and unsure of herself. Also Berta I donot recieve SSDI and the info from the lawyer is great stuff. Thanks so much from the both of you.

Casey