VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lottery

Rate this question

Moe

Question

I will be stoned for what I am about to say but I have never won a popularity contest.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people act like they have won the lottery when granted a disability award. This is evident at all vet forums not just here. I know it is a long and torturous process from personal experience and everyone should feel relief and joy at finally getting the "Envelope." But when folks say "now I can go buy this and that toy" it doesn't sound right. Almost like they beat the system out of something...

I am rated 70% and feel like it is simply compensation for the loss of physical ability to perform meaningful employment. It defrays the cost of having things done that I can no longer do myself. I will not seek IU because in my case 70% is adequate compensation. This not meant to suggest that others do or feel the same, I encourage everyone that feels he/she deserves IU to pursue it. I will even assist if I can.

Guess being retired military gives me a different slant.

Also, I am not painting with a broad brush. Not all, not even most fit the description I have drawn. But when I see it I get a bad feeling..

This is just MHO and I probably will regret saying it, but had to get it off my chest..

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Oh by the way... the veterans full name was Randy L Hendricks - a tank commander in Vietnam he served in country from 1968-70. He the served in the Texas state guard for over 10 years and distingues himself with too many awards to even list here. I think he was proud of them, but he never flaunted them. He was a 1ST Sgt with the TN State Guard and I know he was VERY proud of serving there. He was my recruiter into the organization made of of all volunteer, mostly broken soldiers but still able to perform vital functions in a time of crisis...as recently as Katrina. They also serve as a back-up when the National Guard is mobilized during in state emergencies.

Randy was my friend. I understand what you say Moe, but honestly I am tearing up even writing this. He couldn't friggin afford SOAP half the time. It was finally coming together, and I felt the threat of terminating his TDIU was hollow, but...he was so damn deserving...and so scared, or perhaps worried.

For my part, when I was first rated at 100% TDIU T&P, it was a great relief, but I'd already been approved for SSD. Yes, I went on, filing my claims and getting up to and beyond my 100% schedular primarily for the DIC for my wife when I die. I worked incredibly hard on my case, examining and reading, learning the VA system, not with the intent to "game" the system, but simply to get what I thought was just compensation for what they did to me. You mention that being a retiree may give you a different perspective and I think that is a VERY perceptive statement that says a great deal about you.

I was NOT retired, in fact I was severanced at 20% with over 15 years of service. The Army only looks at the first injury or illness in determining retirement. The do not consider all the others, just the first injury that makes you unqualified for service. That is what they rate you on, and the vast majority, 90%, of soldiers who are injured are NOT retired, they are severanced. This is happening even now. I ask you to go to the closest Army base and go to the holding company and talk to the soldiers. You'll see what is, and has been going on for years and years. The Army is denying the just entitlement to a retirement because they simply do not want to fund it. Severance is cheaper since most vets just take what they get.

So there I was, severanced, unable to walk without braces and crutches, unable to perform most simple tasks I had taken for granted, and facing a future where I would at best be only able to work sporadically. Heck Voc Rehab took one lok at me and qualified me as "unrehabable" if thats even a word. Several surguries later, I am somewhat better, and I have learned how to function within my disabilities. I have more good days than bad...but I still have bad ones, and occassionally a very bad one. Yet at the time I was furious...actually I suppose I still am. If they had just retired me at 40%, I probably wouldn't even have pursued anything other than the VA's 1st rating...but I was mad...and I said to myself this wont pass. Then I started to read and learn...I was boarded out in 15 November 2002...almost 4 years ago this week. And to be honest, when I win ANYTHING from the government, its a feeling or immense satisfaction. In my advocacy work, I have the same feeling when another Veteran get what they deserve...no more than that...simple justice.

So, perhaps part of what you are seeing is peoples natural and predictable response to the relief that the award brings. Yep, they talk about toys, but I bet they pay their rent first..and buy food. Randy bought a VERY used jeep with his back pay...and he needed it..he paid his bills and the 4 months of back rent etc. I know he was happy. I was happy for him, just like I am for all the success stories here. You were very honest in your statement, so I felt you deserved my honest opinion. You showed moral courage is making your feelings known, and fairly tactful in doing so... but I still have to say that I disagree with you.