Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

Good info Slick I'm trying to find an old A1C lab to see what I'm at. I think I'm in the pre-diabetes stage which is just as bad(mother had diabetes II GRHS) My PCP records since getting out show random high and average readings for glucose which doesn't make any sense. And the majority we're fasting. Bleh.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thought I'd post this explanation on SC for Diabetes.

My have been just due to my lack of awareness or just not researching/seeing any comments about diabetes disability, but I had thought requirement was to be on insulin. As you can see below I got a rating based on my medication to reduce my A1C which was 6.2.

Explanation

• We have assigned a 20 percent evaluation for your diabetes mellitus, type II based on: • Oral hypoglycemic agent required • Restricted diet .

• A higher evaluation of 40 percent is not warranted for diabetes mellitus unless the evidence shows diabetes requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities.

One of the problems is that a veteran is not required by law to meet all of the next level "checkboxes" just most for the next higher rating. The VA on the other hand, likes to make a distinction between 20% and 40% based upon injection of insulin.

They often ignore regulated activities. Three out of four should meet the law as well as four out of four.

Chuck,

Last October my fasting A1C was 6.6 or just barely into the diabetic range. I reduced my A1C down to 5.46 in late March by going on a restricted diet and losing weight. I am a Vietnam AO vet but I have not filed a claim for diabetes since my A1C is now back in the normal range. My private PCP told me that I will have to stay on a restricted diet because I am still considered diabetic.

QUESTION: Do diabetics who have reduced their A1C levels back to normal levels through restricted diet have a basis for a claim? Even if I received 0% rating, I would like to have my diabetes service connected. I have provided my VA PCP with copies of my private lab reports showing my A1C level in October 2014 at 6.6 and in March 2015 at 5.46. I am due to have my A1C checked again on July 1st.

GP

My PCP said they won't do a A1C test. I'm a Gulf war Vet. And I've seen some random highs for glucose at my prior PCP. So I'm not sure why she refused when my mother passed because of complications of diabetes. Sounds wrong doesn't it?

definitely doesn't sound right. if you're scheduled for an annual exam it should be part of the labs ordered.

All my previous PCP's either Tricare or VA have always ordered that test based on family history.

I don't know what med coverage you have, but I'd push it or find another PCP, especially if you're concerned with it

Slick I agree. They did the Basic MP and something else has glucose listed but not the hemoglobin(sp) A1C in the results anywhere. I have another DR who's health center closed and moved to the city I may ask that DR to do it. I don't even care at this point about cost. Just need it done to be sure. Ya this DR did not give my wife or me the warm and fuzzy at all from the get go. I don't know what the DR's problem is. I'm just asking for help to ease my mind. And says no, have a nice weekend. wt(X).

To make matters worse I had PT and a chiro appt today. About 30 minutes ago while watching TV laying flat in bed head above the heart and I had the most severe cramp in my left foot. Really intense flare of toes. Not sure if related to PAD(I have already had bypass done on the left 8 months ago) or is it the DDD in lumbar. I'm confused and the Mrs. is stressing as I am I don't want to go lay back down now. On the couch in good sitting position as I type. Insomnia has been off the scale the past month. I don't know which one is causing it now but I'm leaning towards neuropathy somehow now and my back. The PT session(for my back) was light today because I told the PT from the last visit I was extremely sore and in serious pain the next day. So they did basic rubbing on lumbar and showed some new exercises only. We ate dinner out came home and already in pain from that minor session. Bleh.

Edited by spearhead91

Believe it or not my chiropractor was able to get the Labcorp form to do the A1C test for me to give me peace of mind. PCP lost words on that part. So now have to schedule and do the test.