VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Memory Loss Due To Exposure To Jp5 And Av Gas.

Rate this question

basbury

Question

I am the spouse of a veteran who served in the Navy 1966 through 1970. He was on a tanker that carried jp5 and avgas. I did not know about this until after he started losing his memory. He said he "mucked" the tanks and was overcome with fumes a lot of the time. We went to UVA and he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I did not know at the time about the exposure. He has a veteran representatives but he has not helped much. I do not have any doctors opinion on how this exposure could have caused damage to his central nervous system. The Virgina Department of Health has information on petroleum products and how it can affect the system. Should I give up? He has been losing his memory for 17 years slowly he does not follow the steps of Alzheimer's. Looking for some opinions. Am I wasting my time?

5 answers to this question

Do you have any medical records from the navy, as well as all his duty station records (military? etc.), All of his doctors present med records and such? I have seen info about JP4/5 on the internet and it's toxic effects.. Might want to go there first...I did read that the airline stewardess union is filing a lawsuit against Boeing Aircraft for Toxic fumes from jet engines doing this identical thing, as well.. all the fumes leak into the airliners cabins..

Never a waste of time to ask questions in aid of a Vet, or yourself....Your and your spouses (VET) well being is important to us as well..

Edited by RSG

I do not have medical records from the Navy not sure how to get them. I do have his papers that have his duties on them. I have medical records that were secured before knowledge of the exposure. His psychiatrist wrote in his notes he can't say that that the exposure caused his memory loss but he can't say it did not. I am planning on taking him to John Hopkins Hospital the last of August.

I have requested all records and I am researching internet.  Although most studies say the effects are not known.  Don't know if anyone on the ships who mucked the tanks have any memory loss.  If there is anyone reading this that did perform this same duty during Vietnam could we please get your input. Not sure this is the cause researching as there is no dementia out of 12 kids in his family.  Thanks

Claims for service connected Alzheimers can be difficult to succeed in, but Nothing is impossible.

This claim on Remand http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files4/1227689.txt has some clues:

“The examiner must also provide an opinion as to whether the Veteran's currently diagnosed progressive dementia and/or Alzheimer's disease at least as likely as not began in or is related to active service. 

Also, is the Veteran's currently diagnosed progressive dementia and/or Alzheimer's disease at least as likely as not due to or caused by any neurological disorder. 

Finally, the examiner must provide an opinion as to whether the Veteran's currently diagnosed progressive dementia and/or Alzheimer's disease was at least as likely as not aggravated (i.e., worsened beyond the natural progress) by the Veteran's service-connected disability.  If aggravation is found, the examiner should address the following medical issues: (1) the baseline manifestations of the Veteran's progressive dementia and/or Alzheimer's disease found prior to aggravation; and (2) the increased manifestations which, in the examiner's opinion, are proximately due to the service-connected disability.

The examiner(s) must provide a complete rationale for all opinions.”

Is there any evidence of possible dementia in service medical records?  I hope you get the STRs soon

Or any neurologiocal disorder ?

Does any established SC disability aggravate the Alzheimers?

There is certainly some evidence in medical treatises on the net that exposures to chemicals and toxins can cause Alzheimers.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/studies-link-ddt-other-environmental-toxins-to-late-onset-alzheimers-disease/

Here is an SC Alzheimers award :

http://www.va.gov/vetapp10/files6/1042498.txt

and another:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp01/files02/0111673.txt  

but these awards are few and far between yet Nothing is impossible.

Something you said in your post concerned me.......did the VA make this diagnosis?

If so has this diagnosis been supported by any private doctor?

Did they rule out Parkinsons or any other organic brain disorder?

Was he  in an In country Vietnam Vet? if not, what ship did he serve on during the Vietnam War?

Edited by Berta