VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Memory Loss Due To Exposure To Jp5 And Av Gas.

Rate this question

basbury

Question

I am the spouse of a veteran who served in the Navy 1966 through 1970. He was on a tanker that carried jp5 and avgas. I did not know about this until after he started losing his memory. He said he "mucked" the tanks and was overcome with fumes a lot of the time. We went to UVA and he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I did not know at the time about the exposure. He has a veteran representatives but he has not helped much. I do not have any doctors opinion on how this exposure could have caused damage to his central nervous system. The Virgina Department of Health has information on petroleum products and how it can affect the system. Should I give up? He has been losing his memory for 17 years slowly he does not follow the steps of Alzheimer's. Looking for some opinions. Am I wasting my time?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I don't know much about this particular issue, however, you are not wasting your time. You came to the right place, Hadit.com, someone here can and will help you and your husband.

This case was won at the BVA. Unfortunately the veteran had died but the attorney Chris Attig, is a member here and his contact info is on his profile page here too:

ORDER

"Entitlement to service connection for Alzheimer's type dementia, to include as secondary to service-connected Henoch Schonlein purpura, for accrued benefit purposes, is granted."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files5/1440910.txt

I have not found any case for Alzheimers as due to any toxin or AO exposure but the BVA under a search might have cases like that:
http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

Does he have any SC disabilities?

See the link at the bottom. You will have to dig thru this post a little, but we discussed fuel as well as other chemicals like hydraulic fluid that break down to the same exposure symptoms. There are some good links put in there by Camidon that are specific for fuel as well as UN studies, etc. The research shows TCP (present in both) can lead to issues like you are mentioning. Read thru it, it is dry, reading but informative. See if there are other issues identified within that may be affecting your husband, too. Hopefully, you can find something helpful.