Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

S/c For Knee And Seconday Back/hip Issues?

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

I've only just started the VA Claim in the past few weeks. I've learned a lot so far. But the more your read/learn the more questions you have. So I'm reaching out to try and understand the following. I've had multiple injuries to my knee while on active duty and in my SMR/STR which I have my 3 paper copies, 1 in firesafe and, 3 digital storage locations and a USB stick I carry with me. I have done absolutely NO damage to my knee since I left the service. I drive a mouse for a living and a liberal work environment where we can get walk around etc so no sedentary work and I was fortunate enough to be able to do that once I left the service voluntarily and honorably. Gulf War Vet. I would not have been able to do physical manual labor or standing anything for long periods of time if I had too. If one looked at my records while in service they would ask "where are your other records" because it's almost 70% knee issues. My knee story in a nut shell: injury/injury/ACL tear/surgery/injury back to the grind of full time active duy while nursing a messed up knee pain/swelling/lockups continued up until the day I ETSed. I hobbled around the last few years to sick call/ortho/profiles for running my last few years. My impression was they were never ever never going to send me to a MRB or whatever it's called. So I had two choice stay or leave and I didn't want to but I did.

So I submitted for left knee pain and back pain among other issues with VSO Rep.

I had an ortho DR visit and X-ray done for my knee this week and now MRI getting setup(I had an MRI right before I got out says Mild PF arthritis, loose body laterally Possible PFDS?). I haven't even started neck/shoulder issues but listed them also when starting claim with VSO rep.
I have searched these individually and sort of understand them isolated but what is it altogether?
Knee
*Derangement of posterior horn of medial meniscus
*Chondromalacia of patella
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis of the pelvic region and thigh
Back
*Displacement of Lumbar Intervertebral Disc without Myelopathy
*Degeneration of Lumbosacral Intervertebral Disc
*Compression Deformities
*Low Back Pain
*Pain in Limb
I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. And suffering through PAD both legs and had surgery on one already. I feel like I'm truly falling apart. I only be 49 in two months.
Edited by spearhead91

Found a new and useful addition to the the handy Veteran toolbox...dermatone map...never knew existed. Having some serious lower back flaring and numbness tonight. Had a ESI shot this past Monday. Here is a link to a map that maps your lumbar to parts of the leg and the bottoms of your feet and toes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)

Very interesting indeed. I was looking at the charts and see how different areas of my lower extremities are affected by the nervous system.

Measured for custom sports brace so I do not damage/wear down my knee anymore. Now to entertain scheduling bypass surgery for PAD on my other leg or wait for VA C&P exam for that?

Update 07/27: Custom brace measured and ordered so hopefully end of this week or early next week for that.

Update 07/27: Hearing aides ordered. Thank goodness for excellent employer health insurance. 60 day free trial 2 years of batteries. 3 yr warranty.

Update 08/12: Custom knee brace not in yet. She said she would put in a rush so will see.

Update 08/12: The Mrs called the hearing aide place 08/11 shows shipped and may get today 08/12. So we'll see about that.

Edited by spearhead91