VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

S/c For Knee And Seconday Back/hip Issues?

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

I've only just started the VA Claim in the past few weeks. I've learned a lot so far. But the more your read/learn the more questions you have. So I'm reaching out to try and understand the following. I've had multiple injuries to my knee while on active duty and in my SMR/STR which I have my 3 paper copies, 1 in firesafe and, 3 digital storage locations and a USB stick I carry with me. I have done absolutely NO damage to my knee since I left the service. I drive a mouse for a living and a liberal work environment where we can get walk around etc so no sedentary work and I was fortunate enough to be able to do that once I left the service voluntarily and honorably. Gulf War Vet. I would not have been able to do physical manual labor or standing anything for long periods of time if I had too. If one looked at my records while in service they would ask "where are your other records" because it's almost 70% knee issues. My knee story in a nut shell: injury/injury/ACL tear/surgery/injury back to the grind of full time active duy while nursing a messed up knee pain/swelling/lockups continued up until the day I ETSed. I hobbled around the last few years to sick call/ortho/profiles for running my last few years. My impression was they were never ever never going to send me to a MRB or whatever it's called. So I had two choice stay or leave and I didn't want to but I did.

So I submitted for left knee pain and back pain among other issues with VSO Rep.

I had an ortho DR visit and X-ray done for my knee this week and now MRI getting setup(I had an MRI right before I got out says Mild PF arthritis, loose body laterally Possible PFDS?). I haven't even started neck/shoulder issues but listed them also when starting claim with VSO rep.
I have searched these individually and sort of understand them isolated but what is it altogether?
Knee
*Derangement of posterior horn of medial meniscus
*Chondromalacia of patella
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis of the pelvic region and thigh
Back
*Displacement of Lumbar Intervertebral Disc without Myelopathy
*Degeneration of Lumbosacral Intervertebral Disc
*Compression Deformities
*Low Back Pain
*Pain in Limb
I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. And suffering through PAD both legs and had surgery on one already. I feel like I'm truly falling apart. I only be 49 in two months.
Edited by spearhead91

That's interesting, I have SCD for L foot, and both knees, and my back, but they seem to not want to see how when my foot is flaring up it throws my whole body into the "pain" blender.

Berta that's more experience and information than anyone could learn from weeks or months reading articles/journals etc. We watched something the other day on the news I think, not a TV show, and basically said that the test are to RULE out what is not and what is more LIKELY is when it comes to diagnosis. Really opened my eyes quite more when it comes to my health and the care(or lack there of)we are receiving. I mean for crying out loud it's just a simple test and money/coverage is not important as met our deductible for the year months ago because out of pocket for meds and the expense there.

Anydman ya from what I have, I think, is a combination of PAD claudication and some nerve damage in the back(I have DDD and arthritis in both knees and hips now too from xray findings) possibly causing pain in my feet. My point of dilemma is that I had bypass to correct one leg and that does not cause the classic calf pain for PAD/PVD. But my feet flare sometimes to the point of tears and it takes a few minutes for that calm down. Than I have to calm down from the worry of it all, stress, anxiety of not knowing what is causing the pain in my feet. I've bought new inserts for deck shoes, new sneakers etc. watch the way I sit during the day with lumbar support and PT and stretching but the these two cause me flare ups for my back and feet. I'm stuck in a catch 22 and feel I have to manage my PAD/PVD first and bones second. It's like stuck in a cycle and trying to break out of one and than focus on the next.

Edited by spearhead91

Spearhead91,

I just try to go one day at a time. I don't have the luxury of even working on my claim. Between work and family I barely have the energy or brain cells to give to this. I can't sit up straight because my back cramps up. I can slouch all I want. I keep my orthotics in my work shoes or I end up forgetting them. Which does me no good, since I wear them 50 hrs a week. I'm having issues with my feet, for which I have an active claim on my left foot. A secondary claim on the right will follow.

I have deep anxiety that makes it so hard to even try. For so long I thought I had no options except a pine box 6ft under. That choice is always on my mind, a voice that is always there. And living with pain for so long has been hard too.

Andyman73

I hear you loud and clear. One day at a time. All we can do. Rest and ice. Try different types of shoes too. Merrells's(sp) are lightweight and help with fatigue made for walking a lot. I have the low and very worn out below the ankle ones with holes in them but still use them. Don't give up as I see others say quite often here.

http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

800 273 8255 option 1

MRI report in:

1) "medial meniscus is truncated along its free edge medial meniscus is truncated along its free edge with a probable tear extending to

the tibial articular surface..and the posterior horn also is truncated consistent with tear."
2) MRI view limited because of screws in the way or something they can't even tell if my ACL is still there and if it is only some fibers left.
3) "soft tissue density anterior to the expected position of the graft suggest arthrofibrosis"
This was rebuilt in 1991 for ACL tear. So it looks like I wore it out. Asked ortho DR if I was a candidate for a TKR, he said no. Wants to scope and clean up meniscus tear and than see what the ACL looks like. Can fix at the same time but I'm not sure what I want to do there. Going to get a brace to keep from damaging it anymore. I'm a desk jockey average weight and no sports jogging etc so that has been a plus since I got out. Other knee possible tear also but one knee at a time at the moment.
Anyone with similar knee issues? This is my SC I filed my VA claim for and not sure how long that is going to take. So I'm continuing on with private/work insurance.
Edited by spearhead91

Not giving up, trying to resist, but as the Borq like to say, "resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!"

Sometimes I feel like the person swept overboard, swimming after the ship, yelling, but to no avail, ship just keeps sailing away, passengers oblivious as they continue on their merry way.