Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Computer Help Please

Guest jangrin

Guest jangrin

Hello everybody,

Since we moved I had to get new internet service. I had At&t (SBC)DSL when we lived in CA. Now that we have relocated in Texas, we got the high speed connection with COX cable.

With DSL we had to have YaHoo.

Now we can have whoever, but we decided to stay with YaHoo.

My question, because we changed service providers, even though we are keeping Yahoo the same, am I going to have new email addresses?

Jangrin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dataman

Jangrin;

If you want to use Yahoo Email you can use it. But you cannot use it for Outlook Express (Web Based). You can pop your Cable Account if you set it up.

Do you need to? No.

Just keep on trucking.

• In Memoriam

Stephen, is right.

Web based email accounts, like yahoo or hotmail, are web-based and kept on the web-based servers. You can open these accounts on any computer, if you have the user name and password, on any server (dial-up, DSL, or Cable).

Cable has so much more to offer. You can have a cox e-mail address (Outlook Express), yahoo email account, and hotmail account at the same time if you like.

I don't understand why you would chose Yahoo over Outlook Express, but everyone has their own preferences.

I have my hotmail account registered under accounts in my Outlook Express, so that both accounts check for mail when I open my outlook express, this called a PoP account. I hardly ever use the hotmail account. You can do this (PoP) under outlook express or you can just keep going to the yahoo address and opening up your yahoo account.

Servers like Cox, At&t, earthlink, and etc. are the conduits for your web page that you chose. You are not stuck with their webpage.

Walmark dial-up is not compatible with Outlook Express, so I know that there are only a few the will only work with their own mail systems. Yahoo is not one of these systems as far as I know.

My kids use Yahoo for several things and they end up with all kinds of Adware and Junk on their computers. I won't let my kids on my computer, because I have to sweep up after them all the time. They have to use Yahoo on their own computers.

I hope that I haven't confused you.

Guest jangrin

Steven and Stretch,

Thank you both, that helps some. I am looking into using Outlook, instead for AOL. Yahoo, etc. We are going to set up new email accounts so we will make decisions soon. We just set the computer up with camera and microphine so we could conference call with family and friends.

I think it will be cool. Also we are using "SKYPE" free download and free telephone calls anywhere in the US. And then telephone with video. It is so great to see people when your talking over the computer. Just awwsome, keeps me from getting homesick.

Thanks for the help I hope yo don't mind us asking dumb questions. Still struggle with computer stuff.

• In Memoriam

There are no dumb questions, only the sharing of knowledge. Try not to feel intimidated, by computers or Veterans, as you learn more. If some of us get to detailed or hard to understand, ask more questions.

• Founder
Steven and Stretch,

Thank you both, that helps some. I am looking into using Outlook, instead for AOL. Yahoo, etc. We are going to set up new email accounts so we will make decisions soon. We just set the computer up with camera and microphine so we could conference call with family and friends.

I think it will be cool. Also we are using "SKYPE" free download and free telephone calls anywhere in the US. And then telephone with video. It is so great to see people when your talking over the computer. Just awwsome, keeps me from getting homesick.

Thanks for the help I hope yo don't mind us asking dumb questions. Still struggle with computer stuff.

i use outlook and i like it. though you you have to be at your computer to check your mail. with a webbased email like gmail.com you can check it with any browser.