Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New VA claim

Rate this question

Fenway77

Question

I need help understanding how the claim process works... Back in July 2013, after completing 5 deployments, I was awarded 70% for PTSD. Upon getting out of active duty i became civilian law enforcement officer, I began to have major issues with work. Anger issues, missing work and  when I was at work I was on a mission to get myself hurt. I have since lost my job and was unemployed all of 2014. I have managed to get myself somewhat back on track however i haven't been able to be gainfully employed since 2013. When i first submitted my claim i was awarded PTSD  but denied Sleep apnea. Over the past few years i have been on numerous meds.  On march of this year (2015) the VA sent me to another sleep study and again i was informed that i had sleep apnea. I have since submitted a new claim using the EBenefits but i am unsure if i have enough evidence to be awarded a higher percentage. If anyone could spare some advice

OSA is a clinically proven outcome of steroid meds, for instance.

Can you point me to this clinical study?   With as many times as I have been prescribed prednisone and Medrol dose packs this could really help my claim.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This might help

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/804588_2

This article also includes citations to the following studies. Check #10 in particular

References

1. Schappert SM, Rechtsteiner EA. Ambulatory medical care utilization estimates for 2006. National health statistics reports, no 8. Hyattsville, Md: National Center for Health Statistics; 2008

2. Joranson DE, Ryan KM, Gilson AM, Dahl JL. Trends in medical use and abuse of opioid analgesics. JAMA. 2000;283:1710-1714. Abstract

3. Novak S, Nemeth WC, Lawson KA. Trends in medical use and abuse of sustained-release opioid analgesics: a revisit. Pain Med. 2004;5:59-65. Abstract

4. Gilson AM, Ryan KM, Joranson DE, Dahl JL. A reassessment of trends in the medical use and abuse of opioid analgesics and implications for diversion control: 1997-2002. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004;28:176-188. Abstract

5. Drewes AM, Nielsen KD, Arendt-Nielsen L, Birket-Smith L, Hansen LM. The effect of cutaneous and deep pain on the electroencephalogram during sleep --an experimental study. Sleep. 1997;20:632-640. Abstract

6. Smith MT, Perlis ML, Smith MS, Giles DE, Carmody TP. Sleep quality and presleep arousal in chronic pain. J Behav Med. 2000;23:1-13. Abstract

7. Pilowsky I, Crettenden I, Townley M. Sleep disturbance in pain clinic patients. Pain. 1985;23:27-33. Abstract

8. Affleck G, Urrows S, Tennen H, Higgins P, Abeles M. Sequential daily relations of sleep, pain intensity, and attention to pain among women with fibromyalgia. Pain. 1996;68:363-368. Abstract

9. Roizenblatt S, Neto NS, Tufik S. Sleep disorders and fibromyalgia. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2011;15:347-355. Abstract

10. Walker JM, Farney RJ, Rhondeau SM, et al. Chronic opioid use is a risk factor for the development of central sleep apnea and ataxic breathing. J Clin Sleep Med. 2007;3:455-461. Abstract

11. Webster LR, Choi Y, Desai H, Webster L, Grant BJ. Sleep-disordered breathing and chronic opioid therapy. Pain Med. 2008;9:425-432. Abstract

12. Sharkey KM, Kurth ME, Anderson BJ, Corso RP, Millman RP, Stein MD. Obstructive sleep apnea is more common than central sleep apnea in methadone maintenance patients with subjective sleep complaints. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;108:77-83 Abstract

13. Guilleminault C, Cao M, Yue HJ, Chawla P. Obstructive sleep apnea and chronic opioid use. Lung. 2010;188:459-468. Abstract

14. Farney RJ, Walker JM, Boyle KM, Cloward TV, Shilling KC. Adaptive servoventilation (ASV) in patients with sleep disordered breathing associated with chronic opioid medications for non-malignant pain. J Clin Sleep Med. 2008;4:311-319. Abstract

15. Farney RJ, McDonald AM, Boyle K, et al. Sleep disordered breathing (SDB) in patients receiving therapy with buprenorphine/naloxone. Eur Respir J. 2012 Oct 25. [Epub ahead of print]