Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What do you think? Sleep Apnea secondary to Barrett's Disease

Rate this question

kevin4998

Question

I am diagnosed with service-connection with Gerd, and Barrett's Disease.  Barrett's is secondary to Gerd.   A year or so ago I filed for Sleep Apnea too Gerd.   I go a denial, which has really bothered me as I have read their is allot of possibility that Gerd can cause sleep apnea.   I have been doing as much research as I can on the matter to find out why I got denied.   I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea by a private company that was ORDERED by the VA.   The result was moderate obstructive sleep apnea.  The VA followed up with issuing a CPAP machine.   Which unfortunately I have had allot of issues wearing as the machine is not following my breathing patterns, but we are working on finding out exactly why. 

Anyways, while reading up on everything as I usually do late in the evening, I had an epiphany when I read that my Gerd did not have a diagnosing of stricture.   I thought for sure that would be part of the Gerd diagnoses since I do have Barrett's Disease.   Barrett's Disease is not rated by e-cfr in itself, so I wondered if it was a possible that is where I should be looking at instead of the Gerd.  

There it was in black in white.   Barrett's Disease service-connected due to Gerd service-connected and the rating decision states MODERATE STRICTURE.   So there was the link I was missing and why my first attempt to connect Sleep Apnea to gerd was denied.

Next step is to find an IME that is an Otolaryngologist that will use the VA's terminology "More than like than not"  and to state that it has "aggravated" my sleep apnea should be also be noted.  to write up a Nexus if he/she feels that this is truly a possibility.  Going to cost me an arm and leg, but I believe I have got this now (finally).   I have already sent a message to one company that maybe could help get the Nexus, but I have not a clue if they can help really or the cost.

What do you all think?  

I should note I do smoke cigarettes', so they could fall back on this and state that my smoking is causing my issues with sleep.. but doesn't hurt to try except for the impact on my wallet with the IME.

Edited by kevin4998

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question