Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prescriptions given by VA

Rate this question

boomer2

Question

I just received a letter that the VA is charging me $26.18 for a prescription I received in March of 2013. I called the 800 # that was listed and was told it is now $28.05.  Now at that time I was not 100%.  I received A bill from them in June of 2014 and took it to the patient advocate and told him that if I had been told at the time that I received the prescription that I had to pay for it I would have refused it as it was nothing but a vitamin.  To those that are not rated above 50% be aware that you may have to pay a copay for prescriptions received. Of course they don't tell you this when you receive them. But, they sure will charge you interest for them.  They should inform you at the time of dispensing the prescription that you need to pay.  Make sure you ask at the time you receive them.

1 answer to this question

Its in pretty much any pamphlet or description of available VA benefits and if it is for a service related rated condition it is supposed to be free. If it is for a non-rated condition then of course there will be a charge for it. I would expect no less- while I appreciate the VA I don't expect them to always do everything for free. With diminishing budgets things cost money. Paying a co pay is not that horrible of a requirement, and if its means tested so that indigent vets dont' have to pay it, all the better.