Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression or PTSD?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was Diagnosed by the VA for depression back in 1998 at Big Spring Tx VAMC...took meds for it but never filed a claim, now here recently the Dallas VAMC/MH Diagnosed me with Tramatic PTSD/Depression 6//2015...so Since the VA Diagnosed me with Depression back in 1998 AND now here recently they Diagnosed me for Trumatic PTSD /Depression..with Unspecific Depressive Disorders..(.guess they didn't call it that back in 1998?) anyway my question is

it says I was tested Negitive for PTSD screen & Postive for Depression

Should I file on the Depression from 1998 or both the Depression and PTSD...Now I understand the VA Will only rate on one of these? so I am confused as to what to file for?

Would I have an EED from the 1998 Depression Diagnoses?  The reason I never filed for the Depression Back in 1998..I never knew they Diagnosed me?...I only found out that  this year when they Diagnosed me for the PTSD of this year they checked on the computer and made a note of the 1998 Depression Diagnosed AT Big Spring Tx VA Medical center

...I ordered my medical records from the VAMC that Diagnosed me for Depression back in 98..I got those records in and sure enough I have the Diagnoses for Depression in my medical records dated 11 /98

I am so confused??

Anybody have any suggestions? AS TO WHAT TO FILE?

........Thanks

...........Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I may need to hire an attorney, Phillip Rogers  was helping me back then AKA (Flip) Noted I had discrepancies   in my 2002 claim for a EED back to 98 as to my AWARD for TDIU ..it was awarded in 2002 with EED Dated back in 2001 one year of retro but should have been awarded from when they first service connected in it 1998...The reason it was 2001 VA says that's the date I filed for increase.

this has nothing to do with the depression this is for my current disability..but the NOD has run out...just looking at some of my old medical records.

so I was screwed out of 3 years of retro...over 30.000 bucks.

...............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I would file for the Depression, as that is what the VA has documented now more then once, then later on you can always submit Secondary for PTSD. The key is to get the SC granted, and go from there.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Navy04

I'm gathering up my evidence at present.

............Buck