Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MEB PEB CHRONIC HIP PAIN/PTSD

Rate this question

USDevilDawgMC

Question

Good morning everyone,

New to the forums here, thanks for having me.  I'm currently going through the MEB/PEB process (active duty Marine Corps) and have a few questions. 

I am having to do a NARSUM for both mental health and my hip injuries.  Everything seems to be going smoothly so far, but my psychiatrist, who diagnosed me with both GAD and PTSD, is only putting PTSD on the NARSUM, while stating that he does not agree with the GAD diagnosis.  Is this going to effect my overall rating on the DoD side?  I understand that there can't be two different mental health ratings for the VA portion, and whichever is rated higher is the one that they go with, but am not sure if this is the same for the DoD side.  If this is something that could effect my rating, however, I plan on sitting down with me PEBLO and requesting an IMR and/or writing a rebuttal.  I'm also curious as to how much I may be rated for this.  On the NARSUM it states that I have a GAF of 46/I have moderate symptoms/and my future prognosis is listed as "fair".

The next question is about my chronic hip pain.  In 2009 I cracked a femoral neck bone and had to have 3 screws inserted.  In 2013 I reinjured the same hip and had to have arthroscopic surgery to replace a torn labrum and shave some bone.  I am still having chronic pain afterwards, however, and the doctor says that I have frozen hip and there is a possible chance that I am in the 15% category that is a clinical failure (the surgery did not work).  Will the DoD take into account both of my surgeries and the fact that I have had complications with the hip for long periods of time?

If anyone could offer me any advice I would greatly appreciate it, and if any more information is needed please just ask and I will try to fill in those blanks so it makes more sense. 

-Matt

Thank you for both of your replies.  I have been doing extensive research on the MEB/PEB processes since I have entered this site.  I now feel empowered to start taking control of this situation.  Right now I am just waiting for my PEBLO to call me in and discuss the NARSUM review from each of my doctors (one for my physical injuries, and the other for mental health), and I will go over those thoroughly before deciding to request an IMR (independent medical review/second opionon) and/or make a rebuttal.  I am pretty sure I might make a rebuttal on some minute facts, but I was pretty aggressive with both of my doctors and eventually they just let me sit down with them and write out both of the NARSUM's together with what I felt was appropriate.  I made it clear to them that I am in contact with a lawyer and that I would be taking this all the way to the top if I felt like anything sketchy was taking place.  I already take this as a small victory along the way.

I have noticed that the site does not have a specific area for the PEB/MEB processes and directs a lot of service members to a different forum for advice.  I would like to use my process as a guideline for members of this site to know exactly what to expect from my point of view, not just the military point of view, so that they can know which mistakes to avoid.  I am keeping a journal with me at all times and will continuously update it as the process goes along, starting with what I have already been through, which I will begin to prep this evening and have on the board sometime this week.

If anyone else out there has information or suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate the input as well.  I want to make sure that I am not getting blind sided at some point during the process and regret not doing things that I wasn't aware of.  

DevilDawg,

Here are the results for ROM from my C&P exam for my hips, so you can compare for conversation's sake;

R hip

Flexion (0-125)  0-40

Extension (0-30)  0-20

Abduction (0-45)  0-20

Adduction (0-25)  0-20

External rotation (0-60)  0-30

Internal rotation (0-40)  0-20

L hip

Flexion (0-125)  0-40

Extension (0-30)  0-20

Abduction (0-45)  0-20

Adduction (0-25)  0-20

External rotation (0-60) 0-30

Internal rotation (0-40)  0-20

That's about it.  The examiner noted pain in all directions during the  ROM portion of the exam.