Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim at Pending Decision Approval for Months

Rate this question

ejoys29

Question

My claim has been at the Pending Devision Approval Stage for months. I kept calling the 1-800 number to check on the progress. The representatives basically read the description for Preparation for Decision verbatim as it reads in eBenefits. Today, I called the VA Office of the Secretary for Benefits in DC and was told that my claim was previously in Preparation for Decision (still says so in eBenefits.) However, it seems as if the supervisor sent it back to the rater and he couldn't see any percentage or recommendation in the system. There is nothing in the system that says that more information is needed from me or any clinicians/appointments. Is there anything I can do at this point? Can the VA move the claim along? I'm panicking.

4 answers to this question

Very common bud dont freak out. My last 2 FDCs were both at Pending Decision for over 2 months, then both went back to Gathering of Evidence. Just means that the VA is making sure that the RO and Raters are doing there jobs. Also claims always move slower around the holidays. With all of the Days off, Most VA only works a few days here and there. Just try to relax and good luck. God Bless

enjoys29:

Almost all of us Vets go thru the stress of waiting for an answer on our claims, appeals or decisions at some point and it's very frustrating. Many have compared it to be on an emotional rollercoaster and I would agree with that. Patience is something that I've never had much of and the waiting was really tough on me. I know my wife was tired about me talking about it as well. To be proactive, I got over 13 DBQ's completed and a senior doctor at the VA who saw my claim said it was one of the most organized "hard copy" claims that he ever saw. However, my claim in terms of the estimated completion timeline went back and forth and  changed from 1-3 years over 3 times in a single year which drove me crazy. Especially, when I heard later  that my claim was pulled apart so it could be digitized at the RO Level and I was worried they left something important out? Also, earlier, when I turned it in to the VSO Office, it sat on her desk for almost 4 days and I finally took it back and sent it to the regional office myself. She said that it was too big and she could not find a box to ship it in? That was the day, that I also decided to go it alone and to learn to do all the claims work by myself. Frankly, every claim is unique and specifically different from anyone else's claims so there is no way to really predict how long it will take to get an answer on the timeline. So, I spent most of my spare  time on the hadit.com website learning about my conditions and what to do if any of them were denied?  Overall, I learned that if you have strong evidence, it's a chronic condition  and you can link it your military service clearly, then you'll probably do fine? In my opinion, the raters for the most part do a very good job and are trying to follow the rules as best they can? Did I get everything I expected -- no, did I disagree on some decisions --certainly - but I learned that you have to make it as easy as possible for a rater to come up with a decision that favors you. Also, I learned that you can't do much about a bad CP exam but to just try and fight it later and get ready for that day if it comes. But, once it's submitted, it's out of your hands and it usually takes a few rounds of claims and  dedicated hard work to get what you may thank is reasonable?  I don't envy the raters because I think they have a very tough job, are just human like us and are trying to do a good job like everyone else? Also, usually when it's taking a long time in the Pending Decision Approval Stage, it could mean that you have a retro of over 25K coming to you which requires a second supervisory signature? In the end, that's what happened to me. Also, out of frustration,  I remembered, I called the 1-800 number to ask about the delay and the rep said that they had already been  signed off for 2 months prior, so ebenefits is not that accurate. However, a few days later, I went to ebenefits and it was all there including the final % and at least 2 weeks before I received the big brown envelope that everyone anxiously awaits. Towards the end, I prayed a little, studied a lot but also realized  each day draws you nearer and nearer to a final decision...so keep the faith and hang in there....Good Luck and Godspeed...

Edited by rootbeer22
typo

Berta says if you dont have PTSD, you will get it from dealing with VA and all their glitches, delays, denials, and so forth.  The VA wants us to have a full time job, doing nothing else but ordering our cfile, filing NOD's, calling Pegging, emailing IRIS, over and over again, while VA loses, delays, denies, ignores, or just "causes glitches" in our claim that they blame us for. 

"Well why didnt you tell me you filed an FDC for your PTSD secondary to your depression/TDIU, instead its  a NON FDC which wiil be presumptive for Hairy cell leukemia Bvirus, that your DAV should have filed a 21-526 for and instead filed a 21-4138, so your sub silentio denial could have been averted if you would have only told your DAV representative that you had instead intended to refile a 21-526, and he should have said that on his 21-4138.  So, this is obviously the Veterans fault, and the sub silentio denial is not a violation of 38 CFR 3.103 which requires VA send notice as the Veteran erroneously took the advice of his DAV representative, and filed the inapplicable "intent to intend to file" an intent to file form, and he instead actually filed a claim for benefits, so you can clearly see this is all your fault, considering this is a claimant friendly, easy to understand pro Veteran claims system, right?