Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This The Norm?

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I have 4 new claims filed. Three of them are secondary to PTSD claims and and one is tinnitus. I got an appointment for the tinnitus c & p. Any thoughts why I didn`t get c & p dates for the others? I do have doctor`s proof that secondary claims exist.

Cavman

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Did you file the claims all at once or the primary then the secondary ones later on? Maybe there all booked up until the new year? When I got the dates for mine they were a month apart. Then had to wait another month until they sent them back to the RO. Call the RO and ask em what the deal is.

Guest rickb54

caveman,

with the va there is no norm. I have seen them schedule exams all at the same time, and on seperate days.

Just as I have seen claims submitted on one day, and adjudicated months apart.

Did you file the claims all at once or the primary then the secondary ones later on? Maybe there all booked up until the new year? When I got the dates for mine they were a month apart. Then had to wait another month until they sent them back to the RO. Call the RO and ask em what the deal is.

Filed all at once in September.

Cavman

Even though chances are that they are going to refer to the new doctor notes for rating consideration, it would be best to ask about a C & P exam. The majority of the time they do request a C & P, however if they feel the doctors notes for secondary conditions are adequate (for PTSD it's the shrink and medical doctor notes) they could choose to waive the associated C & P.

• HadIt.com Elder

You should get "Duty to Assist" letters for each disability that you claim. I filed three claims recently but they were about a month apart. I had to actually make the trip to my VARO and submit more evidence to get the VA to consider each claim. They were going to ignore the second claim for a secondary condition to DMII. Your duty to assist letters should refer to the conditions you are claiming, otherwise the VA may be ignoring your claim. I believe that when you file for a secondary condition you should use the "Statement in Support of Claim " paperwork. I know you don't have to since all you need to do is just write a letter saying you are claiming the condition, but the VA seems to act better when you file official forms. That is my experience. I was told that when you claim a secondary condition the VA treats it like a request for an increase in the orignial condition. That is what they told me at the VARO. I would expect to be sent for a C&P even if they don't need it. If you don't hear from the VA about your claim I would contact them and keep contacting them regardless of what they tell you. If something is not right or incomplete they won't tell you unless you ask them.