VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I was reading a recent claim at the BVA.

The veteran claimed he had PTSD from a negligent VA medical procedure.

"Although the veteran indicated to

a VA Staff Psychiatrist that his belief that PTSD was the

result of events and circumstances of his care at the VAMC

and not to combat in Vietnam and although the veteran did not

respond to a stressor letter sent to him in April 2002, in

light of the need to remand the veteran's claim for the

reasons cited above, another stressor letter should be mailed

to the veteran, and if he provides enough detail about his

stressors, appropriate steps should be taken to verify the

veteran's contentions. "

The veteran's record's revealed a PTSD diagnosis in his records with a medical statement that his PTSD stemmed from combat stressors in Vietnam.

The case is interesting because it supports the fact that a veteran can claim service connection in many ways-and this vet had also filed a FTCA claim.

My question- what stressor letter does the VA send to combat vets?

Is it still like the old format- how much incoming did you receive?

did you directly witness death of your buddies , the enemy etc-

With the calender where the vet had to, by month, state what happened in combat where and when?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest jangrin

Berta,

As you know my husband was DX with PTSD and the SO advised him to file a claim for benefits. Once he filed the claim we recieved the first of three VCAA letters. In the VCAA letter they addressed the PTSD stressor letter, my husband was to write. They also requested any other evidence that my husband might have. ie., buddy statements, approximate dates things happened, unit info, to support the stressor that caused or was the trigger for the PTSD.

He was not sent any type of form letter from VA asking about his stressor. It was only VCAA asking he provide evidence to support claim for PTSD.

"Is it still like the old format- how much incoming did you receive?

did you directly witness death of your buddies , the enemy etc-

With the calender where the vet had to, by month, state what happened in combat where and when?

They asked him to provide this info but only referenced in the VCAA letter.

Jangrin

Thanks Jangrin- maybe what I am thinking about came here before Rod went into the PTSD inhouse VAMC program.

It was quite a few pages.He was already SC for PTSD -this was regarding a claim for higher rating I think-

I guess they called it the PTSD questionnaire. It took him a week to finish it all-it was very stressful for him to give dates, places etc. I still have it somewhere.

So many Vietnam vets have so many stressors- I think it best to make sure the definitely verifiable ones are the main ones in a stressor letter.

I read a vet's BVA claim the other day where his MOS and DD 214 did not reflect combat at all- but he was in 2-3 major combat operations and had sent them enough info to verify this.

Edited by Berta

Guest jangrin

Berta,

Maybe were not as far along in this process as I thought. It may be that we still have more work ahead of us and the VA just hasn't requested everything from us. :D

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin