Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Study: Toxic Exposures Caused Gulf War Illnesses

Rate this question

gs106

Question

New research shows that exposure to pesticides and other toxins caused Gulf War Illness among the 700,000 U.S. troops who fought in the first Gulf War. Researchers concluded that exposure to pesticides and ingestion of pyridostigmine bromide (PB) (prophylactic pills intended to protect troops against the effects of possible nerve gas) are "causally associated with GWI and the neurological dysfunction in Gulf War veterans." The research team also cites multiple studies showing a link between veterans' neurological problems and exposure to the nerve-gas agents sarin and cyclosarin, as well as to oil well fire emissions. A report of the study is available in the journal Cortex.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945215003329

6 answers to this question

Interesting read.  Thanks gs106.

21 hours ago, gs106 said:

New research shows that exposure to pesticides and other toxins caused Gulf War Illness among the 700,000 U.S. troops who fought in the first Gulf War. Researchers concluded that exposure to pesticides and ingestion of pyridostigmine bromide (PB) (prophylactic pills intended to protect troops against the effects of possible nerve gas) are "causally associated with GWI and the neurological dysfunction in Gulf War veterans." The research team also cites multiple studies showing a link between veterans' neurological problems and exposure to the nerve-gas agents sarin and cyclosarin, as well as to oil well fire emissions. A report of the study is available in the journal 

Did you catch the part about the nerve pills they made us take as precaution to nerve gas that causes GWI?

Edited by pete992

Yes, I saw that Pete.  I didn't go over there myself but several Soldiers I served with were having some pretty serious medical issues after they came back.  I thought it would be of interest to some veterans who get information from this site  I should have cited the source of the article in the original post.  It is from military.com 

I know from military personnel that I knew many of the medications and inoculations were not how should we say verifiably tested.  As many of my colleagues on here have stated we were used as guinea pigs.  I have gone through my records item by item and theres a reason why inoculation batch numbers, lot numbers, expiration dates, serialized shots, are not documented in my service medical records.  

Heck from personal experience on a humanitarian mission to Dominican Republic, the Guard would not pay for anti-malaria pills, we got them, but only from one of officers because he or she owned a private practice.  The anthrax vaccinations that I received, two sets were from expired batches and lot numbers that were deemed known to be harmful.

Not trying to start anything.  If you don't believe me, or have doubts please research these statements yourself.  Look through your own records and look it up.  You will be surprised on what you uncover. 

The Crazy one here, ArNG11 I totally agree. Prior to and during the time of the first Gulf War my unit would do a special roll call for either a particular company or battalion whichever was about to deploy and we setup personnel branch, finance, legal, and medical where everything got covered in one big cluster f***.  I mean we did everything and nothing at the same time.  We did wills on everybody.  We did DNA collecting. We updated next of kin. We change direct deposits and started allotments. We gave shots and forced soldiers to take pills including myself yet how funny all the work we did some how disappeared from our records. It makes no sense but those records are gone.  I found out that some information stayed on the 2A form but not on everyone's 2A form so try to figure that out, it is really crazy.

Same scenario here.  We went to a different armory where it was set up like a horseshoe circus. Yup, POA, Wills, Legal, make sure you trust your spouse briefing,ect.,  It is plausible deniability. I was in a medical company.   Battalion had no business or expertise to process that many soldiers. A battalion or two  is not a small task to accomplish for MOB processing.

FAV 178 and FAV 110 are the batches I am talking about and two of the four series are missing lot, batch, and serial numbers.  Documentation is key there with those kind of inoculations it wasn't omitted by mistake or just oops I forgot kind of a thing.  The person administering the shot signed off on it and initialed the shot records and administrative personnel would update and verify the service medical record.  I know this for a fact, as I would process soldiers from other deployments often before our unit was sent. Shenanigans  in the worst way is how I see that.