Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression And Anxiety

Rate this question

rigo

Question

Hi everyone

In 2002 raised a claim for depression and anxiety, the VA in 2003 established service connection for both of them and included them as part of the PTSD.

Depression and anxiety were diagnosed several times in service, also mention in the separation examination of 1966.

The VA granted service connection for PTSD in 2001

Question

Can the VA include depression and anxiety as part of the PTSD? even though depression and anxiety were directly related to the trauma the veteran suffered in service?

My other question

I`m wondering, if the depression and anxiety have a percentage assign to them (ex: 10 percent) even though they are part of another disability (PTSD), and if this percentage can be increase if the depression or anxiety gets worst.

Thanks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

John999, now, I understand about the differeces between SMC and HB, I thought the requirement were the same for both of them, but they differ, for SMC you need to be a 100 percent disable and for HB you need to be 100 percent disabled with other disability at 60 percent, or a 100 percent disabled and the veteran is permanently housebound because of a service connected disability. Thanks

Patrick428, with your explanation of the "Layers of the cake" you answer the other part of my question, I didn`t know that PTSD had 44 disabilities linked to it. I have a diagnosis of PTSD then depression and anxiety were included on the diagnosis of PTSD, so this are the layers that will make the final product complete and how all of this disabilities affects my life. Thank you both for answering my questions Rigo

• HadIt.com Elder

The layers on my cake gave me 100% P&T. Lets see it was Panid Disorder Major Depression and Agorophobia also I display PTSD symptoms but thank God I don't have to prove that.

100% plus Agorophobia is supposed to make you get a higher rating but I never got that.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Rigo,

What is meant by "Layers of the cake" is simply that PTSD is usually not a stand alone disorder without involving other disorders. Again, it is the severity of the secondary issues that make PTSD more severe or profound. Usually the most common disorders seen with PTSD are Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorder with and without Agoraphobia, and Bipolar Disorder. I have rarely seen PTSD diagnosed without at least one other disorder secondary to it.

In the rating system and evaluation process lets say you have PTSD and Major Depression standing as equals, If all elements of your claim lean in the direction of PTSD, then MD adds more power to your PTSD issues. Thus, a rater should give benefit of the doubt to you based on PTSD at a higher rating.

Patrick

For instance, in 2001 the VA grant my claim for PTSD related to trauma, in the same year I raised a claim for depression and anxiety disorder, this claims were granted and included as part of my PTSD. Probably, if I request SMC or HB, I will have a better chance to get it, because of the two other disabilities added to my PTSD. Anyway, the VA has to take into consideration all the evidence of record to grant or deny a claim. This is the way I see it, probably I`M WRONG. Rigo

1968 Army VV, the reason the VA included anxiety an depression as part of my PTSD, was because both of them were diagnosed as part of my PTSD and both were part of my C/P. I have requested the percentage of each added disability but the VA refuses to let me know, I even requested this info under FOIA. You have good chance that depression be included as part of your PTSD disability, because its being diagnosed and is part of a C/P exam. Rigo

1968 Army VV, if you have the evidence to backup a depression claim file it. Have you ever thought to file depression as secondary to your PTSD. If you have the evidence file it, you have nothing to loose, that was what I did, it was a long shot and you see what happened they included them as part of my PTSD claim. Rigo