Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression And Anxiety

Rate this question

rigo

Question

Hi everyone

In 2002 raised a claim for depression and anxiety, the VA in 2003 established service connection for both of them and included them as part of the PTSD.

Depression and anxiety were diagnosed several times in service, also mention in the separation examination of 1966.

The VA granted service connection for PTSD in 2001

Question

Can the VA include depression and anxiety as part of the PTSD? even though depression and anxiety were directly related to the trauma the veteran suffered in service?

My other question

I`m wondering, if the depression and anxiety have a percentage assign to them (ex: 10 percent) even though they are part of another disability (PTSD), and if this percentage can be increase if the depression or anxiety gets worst.

Thanks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

For my two cents many who cannot prove a stressor for PTSD would be much better served looking at co morbidity i.e. major depression or bi polar as it is almost always there. My example panic disorder is almost always accompanied by depression. Sometimes its a lot easier to prove out depression than PTSD the way the VA works.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

1968 Army VV, in 2001 I was service connected for PTSD due to trauma, in 2002 raised a claim for depression and anxiety. In January 2003, the VA established as service-connected depression and anxiety and included them in the evaluation of PTSD.

In my case, depression and anxiety were both diagnosed as part of the trauma.

I know there is a persentage attached to each disability but the VA refuse to tell me (I`ve requested this info under FOIA). If someone has any sugestions how to get this info, please let me know.

Like I said, in my case both disabilities were diagnosed together, if you have the evidence and can linked it to service file a claim.

If something happened in service and you were diagnosed with depression and anxiety at the same time for the same problem you can file SC for both of them at the same time.

If you file for depression and not for anxiety and both were part of the same problem in service, I will write an addendum and include anxiety as part of the claim.

Hope this make sence to you Rigo

1968 Army VV, here is the DRO desicion of December 27, 2002

We received your new claim for service connection of depression and anxiety attacks on December 13, 2002. We reviewed the evidence of record.

DECISION

Service connection for depression and anxiety is established and included in the evaluation of post-traumatic stress disorder which is currently evaluated as 100 percent disabling.

REASONS FOR THE DECISION

As you requested, we esteblished service connection for depression and anxiety attacks and included them in the evaluation for post-traumatic stress disorder currentlu evaluated as a 100 percent disabling. An evaluation of a 100 percent is assign whenever there is evidence of total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as gross impairment in though process or communication, persistent dilusions or hallucinations, grossly inappropriately behavior, persisten danger of hurting self or others, intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living ( including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene ), disorientation to time or place, or memory loss for names of close reatives, own occupation, or ownh name. Although not all of the symptoms are present, no change is warranted in the 100 percent disability evaluation for post-traumatic stress disorder with depression and anxiety attacks based on the evidence reviewed.

That was all the explanation I received (found the explanation a whole bunch of BS, related only to PTSD, the VA never stated how depression and anxiety attacks enhance the established PTSD.

The VA has never give me the percentage of each disability, even though I have had ask for it. I now they have a percentage because they were service connected.

The VA never mention any laws pertaining to this claim

Hope this help, I do understand what you want to know and what you want to claim. If you believe you have a good claim for PTSD, DEPRESSION, ANXIETY OR WHATEVER JUST GO FOR IT.

I also raise a claim for panic disorder with agoraphobia, but that is another story. Rigo

Edited by rigo