Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Point me in right direction please

Rate this question



My mother agreed to let me handle filing a claim for my father. You see he passed away in 2000 at the V.A. Hospital. I need to know how to handle this. I am guessing that I need to obtain his C File, review it and put together the proof needed to show that he died because of service connected disabilites.

He was 100% PT but not for 10 years so my mother does not receive any compensation because of it. Personally I think the V.A. was guilty of malpractice. They were treating him for pneumonia as an inpatient and he died of myocardial infarction. But I digress. I would like to see if there is any way that I can link his Sc'd issues with his cause of death so I can help my mother bet DIC.

I need to review his records but I believe that he had PTSD, Agent Orange, Electrocution residuals???, Osgood Slaughters, and maybe a few other things.

He was 11th Calvary F troop Vietnam 1967 and 1968 and I believe he was at Tet and a few other major battles. He may have been a tank mechanic or driver not sure.

How do I proceed. I am sure this has been covered somewhere and I am just not finding it. If someone knows where I can find the info on the steps I need to take for a claim like this. 

I am pretty fluent in filing claims for current issues but on the Vietnam side of things its a little hazy. 

Thank you in advance


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Maybe Berta will glance in. She has a lot of good info regarding this type of stuff.

I'm a fool for reading too quickly and missing things.

Does the Death cert list contributing factors (like his PTSD)? That would help immediately, and keep you out of an 1151 nightmare.

What condition was connected with the Agent Orange exposure?

If you do look toward malpractice then the 1151 claims section might help: http://community.hadit.com/forum/125-1151-claims/

Edited by Meddac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0


We all do that I think!! At least I am guilty of it.

As far as your questions with whats on the paperwork I am going to have to hold off on answering until I figure out how to get my hands on all the paperwork and have a chance to review everything. 

I want to not speculate on my end as far as what is on the paperwork at the V.A. because we all know its never what you think should be there and I have never personally seen his C file or anything related. I just have what I have been told by my mom and I want to verify it first. 

This is something that has been bothering the family for years and I would like to put it to rest one way or another. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I have not requested the file. I am still trying to figure out the best way to go about getting it. I am hoping that I can also get his DD214 and everything else related in order to put together an accurate picture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use