Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How much did you pay for your IMO/IME?

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Don't want to get killed on pricing.

Got a quote today from an esteemed physician and was told he normally charges 10 thousand dollars.

I need to explore other options.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Does that price include specialized testing?  If not, that seems incredibly expensive.

Green

Dr. Bash quoted me 4k altho that was about 10 years  ago.  Ten grand does seem pricey.  For me, it turned out my local VA doc gave it to me free.  Well, not an IMO/IME, but it worked just as well.  In fact, he had always given me good evidence, VA just decided not to read it.  

That changed when I got all my cfile and records.  I cited this doc's opinion refuting what the VA said.  There is a case, Colvin Derwinski, where it explains that VA can not substitute their own unsubstantiated medical opinion for that of a qualifed medical professional.  (I refer to that as a Colvin violation).   No, the VA does not have to favor one doc over another, and can rely upon an unfavorable doc opinion, BUT, they must state why Doc. x's opininion was more persuasive than Dr. y's opinion in the reasons and bases, or else its a Colvin violation.  

For example, the VA can give a reasoning that Dr. X had read your entire medical records, and so stated, and your Dr. Y, did not state same.  Then, the VA can conclude that Dr. X unfavorable opinion was more probative, for that reason.    There are other legit reasons why the VA can favor one medical opinion over your favorable one, but they always must give a reason.  

If you have your entire cfile, and you do not find the applicable nexus statement, for example, then you will need an IME/IMO.  Often, however, its right there, and VA did not read it.  Dont make that mistake yourself.  Read it for yourself.  And dont take VA's word, "there is no evidence in the file of xxxx condition".  Check it yourself.  

Broncovet, that was very informative. 

Thank you for taking the time in providing this info.

I finally found a board certified orthopaedic surgeon/certified disability evaluator, who will do a spinal IME and IMO for $1000.00.

Got to have pertinent medical evidence because the VA is denying causation in my negligence claim.