VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What are the raters up to?

Rate this question

Cobra4v

Question

I'm trying to make some sense out of my claim I filed in early May. I requested an increase for s/c conditions (knee,back,shoulder) rated 3 years ago 10% each. I had my C&P exam at the middle of May and monitored my claim daily on work week days. The day my C&P exam was completed my claim went to preparation for decision estimated end date of June 22nd at the latest. I passed my completion date with no changes on ebenefits. No explanation provided by the VA.

I checked on or around July 3rd and saw my claim went back to review of evidence with a estimated completion date of August 8th at the latest. I'm kind of confused why they are reviewing more evidence as I turned all paperwork in before I even had my C&P exam. 

I am going through physical therapy and just recently had 2/3 series of injections on my knees. My ROM was terrible in my left knee at the time of the exam resulting from a flare up. Other than that, there was evidence of worsening changes involving ROM from my previous exams, but my knee was definitely the worst. 

Im wondering if they are holding the claim open until I finish the series of injections or physical therapy to try and discredit an increase. Even though the results of injections are a temporary fix, I feel they are going to wait to try and justify a decrease if anything. 

Anyone have an opinion on this or advice? 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Ebenefits is not a very reliable gauge of where your claim is in the process. Its best used as a general guideline and I use that term rather loosely. Don't obsess over it- easy to say, but still, the truth. The claims side has little interaction with the health side on a day to day basis so they are probably not even aware that you have some other medical thing going on with your current conditions unless you tell them to pull those records or submit them yourself. 

Secondly, don't be so negative. It just makes the process seem longer and self reinforces the idea that the VA is out to get veterans in some way. You hear about negatives from years ago that are brought up over and over, now readable via the internet as if it were right now, or a buddy or relative waxes poetic on how they were wronged. You rarely if ever hear about the hundreds  of thousands of claims that are processed daily across the country that are handled, sent to their recipients, and closed, with the recipients being fine with the results. Vet forums are an echo chamber for information good, bad, and useless- don't focus on the negative. 

Good advice as usual. Thank you

It gets frustrating when you think you have an idea how the system works. Only to find out you have no idea. All I could find were bad results from people with similar claim experiences than mine. 

Received a response from the VA through email today after using the ask a question link on ebenefits.

The response stated, "A review of your on-line record indicates we are waiting on clarification on Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) or exam results. As indicated, the timeframes provided are an average or estimated timeframe."

Does this mean they are trying to clarify some of the notations made by the C&P examiner? I can see why it would be in the evidence review phase if so. 

Yes, that's likely what they are doing.  I had a C&P and the NP conducting the exam contradicted the existing medical evidence in my STR and civilian medical records.  The rater requested clarification from a more qualified doctor and he concurred with the existing medical evidence and said the claimed conditions were at least as likely as not service connected. .