Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam In Process

Rate this question

ROMAD

Question

Well first post to the forums so here goes. I served on active duty in the AF for 11 years. during my service I developed Cluster Headaches. I received PCS orders to Korea and was sent to the Board and was medically seperated with severance pay and 10% disability. They pushed me out the door and I did not have a seperation physical because there was not enough time and they could not delay the seperation date. Ok so I am told to go to the VA for care and get a disability rating while on TRDL. 1 year later they officially seperated me. I received a 30% rating and had to wait for the amount of my severance to be recouped. Well during this time I have been in to see the docs and have been told there is no cure and they can continue to see me and try and treat the pain. The headaches happen every year several times a year. They have tried me on several medications over the past 10 years, and while on active duty as well. I live 35 miles from the VAMC and could not drive there everytime I got a headache. Not only because I can't drive during an attack but they can't do anything for me. So for six years I had no appts. with the VAMC. During this time I just used the oxygen and rolled around in pain. I am not able to get a statement from previous employers about firing me because of my disability. So now I am asking the VA for an increase in my disability payments and doing Voc rehab. When I spoke with the VA C&P doctor on the 8th it was a short appt and he asked me a few questions and rubbed my feet checked my reflexes and that was about it. But the one thing I did not do is have a complete timeline of when my headaches were and how long they lasted. They really put you off asking sort of matter of fact type questions and taking what you say during this chat as exact. well I received a copy of my C&P exam notes (from ROI request) and they state my condition appears to have not changed and draw conclusions that my dates don't fit what my medical record says. I did not take a copy of them with me to check the dates. My question is how do i fix this? The review is not complete yet but I believe it may be denied. By rating is based on code 8100 my condition is Cluster Headaches with Horner Syndrome. The VA rating guide does not have a code for cluster headaches they use Migraine which I feel is not correct anyway. So what does everyone think did i screw the pooch?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Romad- WELCOME here! Best place in town -veteran-

You got great advise here so far- I need to read this all again- but one thing stands out-

Voc Rehab -a two edged sword-

Sometimes the VA thinks this turns a vet into a rocket scientist and they dont want to pay more comp-

My husband went through this crap-30% PTSD, one month Voc Rebah and 2-3 months of some part time crap job at the VA and they tried to lower his comp.

But we fought that ad they did not succeed.

I strongly suggest Romad- that- if this is traditional college- and not online college-

that you ask the college to accomodate your disability.

You would have to specify problems your SC causes-

like maybe you need note takers, due to vision problems, or your disability could obviously interfere with your ability to study well- etc- stuff like that-

But I dont know how this would work if you go to school under Voc Rehab on line-

I sure dont mean to suggest the VA will attempt to lower your comp- just that they do some pretty odd stuff sometimes-

Do you have a vet rep or service officer supporting your claim?

Thank you for your service-

"But i won't give up, but they do make it hard."

We hear you there---persistence is often the name of the game----

Romand,

Also what i would do if i were you, is ask for another C & P exam, to me it sounds like you got screwed by the A.F. I dont care if you are exiting on a MEB OR PEB (i think its called those) You should ALWAYS get a physical, even if you have to go and set it up yourself. Going from what you said the va might deny your claim.

I kinda wish you were seeing a civ doctor during the time you didn't go to the va. But i still think you shoulda went up to the va to get it documented.

As for myself i have migraines, the va is about 20 mins from me, and you better believe i drive up there for the smallest thing. The can't treat my migraines and the meds the give me i dont take it b/c it screws me up more, but i go there to get it documented.

With the va, they want to see documentation, and in your cases, to see the condition getting worse. What i would do is try to get a primary doc,l see him on the regular and just report your condition. For your claim, you may have to get an outside doc to give you an independent evaluation.

jhmo

Jay

Romand,

Also what i would do if i were you, is ask for another C & P exam, to me it sounds like you got screwed by the A.F. I dont care if you are exiting on a MEB OR PEB (i think its called those) You should ALWAYS get a physical, even if you have to go and set it up yourself. Going from what you said the va might deny your claim.

I kinda wish you were seeing a civ doctor during the time you didn't go to the va. But i still think you shoulda went up to the va to get it documented.

As for myself i have migraines, the va is about 20 mins from me, and you better believe i drive up there for the smallest thing. The can't treat my migraines and the meds the give me i dont take it b/c it screws me up more, but i go there to get it documented.

With the va, they want to see documentation, and in your cases, to see the condition getting worse. What i would do is try to get a primary doc,l see him on the regular and just report your condition. For your claim, you may have to get an outside doc to give you an independent evaluation.

jhmo

Jay

Romad- WELCOME here! Best place in town -veteran-

You got great advise here so far- I need to read this all again- but one thing stands out-

Voc Rehab -a two edged sword-

Sometimes the VA thinks this turns a vet into a rocket scientist and they dont want to pay more comp-

My husband went through this crap-30% PTSD, one month Voc Rebah and 2-3 months of some part time crap job at the VA and they tried to lower his comp.

But we fought that ad they did not succeed.

I strongly suggest Romad- that- if this is traditional college- and not online college-

that you ask the college to accomodate your disability.

You would have to specify problems your SC causes-

like maybe you need note takers, due to vision problems, or your disability could obviously interfere with your ability to study well- etc- stuff like that-

But I dont know how this would work if you go to school under Voc Rehab on line-

I sure dont mean to suggest the VA will attempt to lower your comp- just that they do some pretty odd stuff sometimes-

Do you have a vet rep or service officer supporting your claim?

Thank you for your service-

"But i won't give up, but they do make it hard."

We hear you there---persistence is often the name of the game----

Well I am going 3/4 time just to test the waters and I will be attending onsite. The studying might be an issue since my condition is neurologic in nature "Cluster H.A" but I am not sure this will be the answer to getting me reemployed but I will give it a shot. The problem is employers don't like you taking 20 to 30 minutes out of "their time" to administer medicine if you have an attack that is not during your lunch hour or break. but we will see. Thanks for all the good info I appreciate it. I am represented by the Wisconsin department of Veteran Affairs but they don't seem real aggressive in helping with things that may cause conflict. I never thought in a million years that I would ever be hung out to dry by the government I pleadged my allegiance and dedication to.

I have a state division too representing me in NY and mine are not aggressive at all-among other things-

"I never thought in a million years that I would ever be hung out to dry by the government I pleadged my allegiance and dedication to"

It is the VA's fault-due to the screwed up claims process-

I swear they cause and contribute to stress and anxiety in vets already disabled enough-

I have met some of the BEST people I ever met- who work for VA in all areas-Docs, cemetery, nurses, housekeeping-

and some of the Worst I ever met are at the VA.

It is often hard to tell who is who-when someone is new to the system-

Jay is right - a real doctor- on the outside might be able to help you better with your disability and also provide an independent medical opinion-for your claim-

sounds like you might well need one-

It is not fair- they can be costly-but some private docs do them for free-

but it seems often the only way to support many SC claims these days.

Was your C & P based only on the migraines or was it an actual neurological exam?

And maybe there is more for them to do yet on the exam?

Yeah- maybe you have a CUE in a prior unappealed decision-----

that sure is something to consider-

I found some claims at the BVA regarding Horner's.

Will this one help:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp03/files/0315793.txt

"ORDER

Clear and unmistakable error in the grant of service

connection for Horner's syndrome with trigeminal neuralgia

not having been shown, severance of service connection for

Horner's syndrome with trigeminal neuralgia was improper;

accordingly, service connection for that disability is

restored.

Service connection for headaches as secondary to Horner's

syndrome is granted."

3 issues, Cue -denied, severance rating restored, and migraines as secondary to Horner's.

Also: http://www.va.gov/vetapp00/files3/0020187.txt

"A schedular evaluation in excess of 20 percent for Horner's

syndrome with impaired accommodation is denied. " However this case is worth reading as to the ratings and DCs.

and This appears to be a remand of the above claim -not sure- but from the CAVC:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp01/files03/0124899.txt

But the BVA again held to their decision- as to the Horner claim:

"2. The schedular criteria for an evaluation in excess of 20

percent for Horner's syndrome with impaired accommodation

are not met. 38 U.S.C.A. §§ 1155, 5107; 38 C.F.R. §§ 4.1,

4.7, 4.20, 4.21, 4.84a, DC 6030 (2001)."

It appears that a proper C & P on Horner's syndrome involves 3 separate C & Ps-

"The June and July 1998 compensation and pension examinations

(i.e., general medical, neurology, and ophthalmology) reflect

that the veteran wore contacts and eyeglasses. The veteran's

pupils were equal, round, and reactive to light and

accommodation on the general medical examination. The

neurologist noted that the eyes had been dilated by

ophthalmology and neither pupil was therefore reactive and

their sizes were both 7 or 8 millimeters. The neurologist

noted that the veteran had Horner's syndrome involving mild

drooping of the left eyelid and a small pupil on the left

side. The veteran reported that his left pupil was "always

usually" small and did not affect his vision. Closure of the

eyelid was normal and puffing of the cheeks and smile, etc.,

was normal. Facial sensation including temperature sensation

was normal. The neurologist reported that he could not

detect any difference in sweat on the two sides of the face"

It sounds like this vet here at hadit-got the GP C & P and still should be given the other ones-as mentioned here.

Edited by Berta