Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Service Records

Rate this question

ROMAD

Question

Well the battle continues... I requested a copy of my Military service records from the Archives in St. Louis. I received a copy of my DD-214 and copies of my Medical Board results seperating me from the Air Force. Now I spent 11 years on active duty and had numerous changes in duty stations temporary duty assignments and tech schools I attended. And much more "stuff" than the 6 pieces of paper they sent me. So I called down there armed with my request number and after waiting about 10 minutes (not bad I am told) the woman came on the phone and asked me if I received the letter accomping my records I told her yes but they were incomplete and I was curious if there was another package enroute to me. She said no but let me check and see what is going on and I will call you later. She asked for my phone number and said she would call me back. So I did the naormal thing and asked her name and she informed me they don't give out their names... Now thats customer service.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

ROMAD,

You need to call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them of your prior conversation with the technician that would not give you her last name. She is susposed to.

Ask to specifically speak to the archive techician that has his name on the lower left side of the cover letter.

Josephine

ROMAD,

You need to call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them of your prior conversation with the technician that would not give you her last name. She is susposed to.

Ask to specifically speak to the archive techician that has his name on the lower left side of the cover letter.

Josephine

Hurray! well I called back like you suggested and asked to speak to supervisor and they asked if there was something they could help me with and I explained my frustration and theysaid I would have to submit another request because I did not ask for the right thing. Well I explained what I was looking for and she said I should have asked for... I interupted and explained that I was not aware of that and should not have to start over. She issued another request number and listed it as a complaint and said they will process the complaint and send me my entire military personnel record. I asked her name and she told me she was Agent 5402. So thank you for the advise to call back. It is so nice to bounce things off of others in this forum to see the best way to handle the brick walls. Thanks again!

• HadIt.com Elder

ROMAD,

Good for you. I have found the employees to be very nice at the St. Louis Archives. I believe that you will receive all of your records and those that were left out with the first request.

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Guest jangrin

Romad,

My experience with the National Archives has been that once you open a claim the ORIGINAL RECORDS are sent to the VARO. Don't be surprised if you receive a letter stating the the records have been forwarded to the RO. You may have to send a FOIA request for copies of your records and entire c-file to the RO. It wouldn't be the first time that a veterans records had been moved after he/she opened a claim. Just a heads up in case you come up empty from the archives.

Jangrin :D

Edited by jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

jangrin,

I am at the AMC and have received copies of all of my administrative records from the Archives just this year. May and July.

The AMC is doing another search for medical records, only because of the psychiatric records that I turned in 2004, considered New and Material Evidence by the BVA.

The Archives has sent one Aimee to the AMC that there are no more medical records for me in their possession.

The AMC should have their final copy this Friday from the Archives.

Josephine

Guest jangrin

Hi Josephine,

I understand your point. I was just giving a heads up for alternative action in case ROMAD comes up empty. It seems lately the only thing I have heard is lies from the 800# people as well as the IRIS replies. I haven't heard a single post lately where the veteran had been given honest reliable information. ALways best to be prepared witha backup plan to accomplish your claim goals. :D

Jangrin