VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% PTSD or IU

Rate this question

Wolfhound88

Question

Hey Strangers...Been out for a while. Unfortunately had some pretty bad experiences the past couple of years. I had another C&P for PTSD last week and below are part of the results. I'm rated 70% right now, and I have applied for TDIU or 100% PTSD. Based on your experiences, does this look like I have a chance at either? Thanks so much. 

3. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria --------------------------- Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM-5).

The stressful event can be due to combat, personal trauma, other life threatening situations (non-combat related stressors). Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criterion A stressor/PTSD. Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly attributable to other things should be noted under #6 - "Other symptoms".

Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury, c) sexual violence, in one or more of the following ways: [X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s)

Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion symptoms  associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred: [X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s). [X] Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s).

Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic events(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following: [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s). [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations) that arouse distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).

Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., "I am bad,: "No one can be trusted,: "The world is completely dangerous,: "My whole nervous system is permanently ruined"). [X] Persistent negative emotional state (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).

Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation) typically expressed as verbal or physical  aggression toward people or objects. [X] Hypervigilance. [X] Exaggerated startle response. [X] Problems with concentration. [X] Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep).

Criterion F: [X] The duration of the symptoms described above in Criteria B, C, and D are more than 1 month.

Criterion G: [X] The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Criterion H: [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition. 4. Symptoms ----------- For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses: [X] Depressed mood [X] Anxiety [X] Suspiciousness [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 5. Behavioral observations -------------------------- The veteran was pleasant, and affect was stable. Speech was of average rate, tone, and prosody. Upon direct questioning, no immediate SI or HI was reported. No AH or VH was indicated. He was cooperative during the session. 6. Other symptoms ----------------- Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other mental disorders) that are not listed above? [ ] Yes [X] No 7.

Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] N

Remarks, (including any testing results) if any:  His depression and alcohol use disorders are both likely reactions to current PTSD symptoms and as a result cannot be fully differentiated. The effects of his PTSD on occupational functioning include the following issues that interfere with maintenance of gainful activities (including both sedentary and physical tasks): sleep issues, nightmares irritability/anger, social isolation, hypervigilance, avoidance of trauma-related stimuli and triggers, and heightened arousal. Each of these issues consistently affects the veteran's ability to work a full time job and complete tasks both individually and as part of a team (examples included above in Social History and Mental Health History areas). Functional limitations of his PTSD symptoms are social withdrawal at work which interferes with timely and efficient completion of work tasks.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I will ask him when I go back to my next appointment. I have a claim in right now for the PTSD increase and / or IU. I'm not scheduled to go in to see him for another couple of weeks and it looks like they were just waiting for this C&P exam to move my file forward. 

My grandkids watch PWee Herman.  In this show, if you say the "magic word" the audience screams and hollers.  

So far, I did not hear the magic sentence:  "The Veteran is unable to maintain substantial gainful employement due to SC conditions"

When you read that magic sentence, then you can scream.  Otherwise, like Pee Wee, you try to get someone (the doctor) to say the magic sentence.  

17 hours ago, Wolfhound88 said:

Each of these issues consistently affects the veteran's ability to work a full time job and complete tasks both individually and as part of a team

Isn't this the same thing? Or does it have to be the exact sentence? 

2 hours ago, Wolfhound88 said:

Isn't this the same thing? Or does it have to be the exact sentence? 

You need nearly that exact sentence broncovet wrote. Raters look for it the same way they look for any one sentence to deny you the first time around. IE: I was denied an increase for PTSD because, when I was asked what I do in my free time,  I told the C&P I play PC games. (I kid you not) The C&P wrote that playing video games suggest some work can be done. But I am now being granted 100% after appeal.