Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

dental implants

Rate this question

deanbrt

Question

I am a 100% TDIU veteran. I had a botched root canal through the VA sending me to a university dental school almost 5 years ago and, after a visit to an endodontist through the choice program, have been advised I should get extraction,  a bone graft and two dental implants in the area where the molar is. My VA dental clinic has scheduled an appointment for next week to "review my options". I want the bone graft and dental implants. The endodontist said I would have a pretty wide area for a partial and they would have to crown the last molar for an anchor. 

Has anyone had this experience and was it approved? It looks like the big issue is few dental outlets accept the VA pay schedule and the VA must approve a variance to cover the cost difference.

2 hours ago, deanbrt said:

Saw the oral surgeon today. Extraction and bone graft April 27. After 5 months, dental implants at the Minneapolis VA. 4 and 1/2 hours away, I hope....

So the VA is fixing the crap they messed up at the dental school when they sent you out before? I sure hope so!! 

I read an article the other day that said the issue is that if your VAMC dental does not do implants and bone grafts they try to steer you away from them. Mine does not and there was some discussion that I felt was an attempt to persuade me against the procedure. But the extraction and bone graft will be at a local provider and the later implants will be done at the VAMC in Minneapolis. a 4 to 5 hour drive one way.

And yes, Seminoles, their use of students at the local dental school was the cause of my botched root canal that I am now paying the price for.

15 hours ago, deanbrt said:

I read an article the other day that said the issue is that if your VAMC dental does not do implants and bone grafts they try to steer you away from them. Mine does not and there was some discussion that I felt was an attempt to persuade me against the procedure. But the extraction and bone graft will be at a local provider and the later implants will be done at the VAMC in Minneapolis. a 4 to 5 hour drive one way.

And yes, Seminoles, their use of students at the local dental school was the cause of my botched root canal that I am now paying the price for.

ugh, sorry to hear the bad service that you were sent out for.  I do have to drive 3 hours each way for many things for the VA too, I have never had them send me to a dental school though, thank God!!  I hope you get your implants and love them, I am so happy with mine honestly.  Not my teeth, but as close as I am going to get.  Best of luck and I hope the rest is fixed on the VA's dime and correctly!!

Scheduled for the teeth extaction and bone graft Thursday but a little concerned in that I have called 3 times to confirm next steps. Told verbally the implants would be done at VAMC in Minneapolis. Oral surgeon says I should be ready for them in 5 months but would like a reconfirm that everything is scheduled before the oral sugery Thursday.