VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help with VA and non VA care

Rate this topic

I would like to know what is the VA's policy number and any documentation on not paying for maintenance therapy. I have been getting aqua therapy for about 9 months through the choice program due to my pain from fibromyalgia and arthritis and now now they cut it off said VA don't pay for maintenance therapy to use my own insurance and join a gym with pool and do it on my own.  So I am in therapy doing ok managing my pain but since i will not improve they cut it off and let me regress and go back to being in severe pain then what do I do? What is our next steps to get this approved or what other options do I have. I will do a Congressional Inquiry soon, so please let me know ASAP what can be done. it's just not right that since someone will not get better that the VA kicks them to the curb. They do pay for long term care why not long term therapy for pain management? 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello and welcome to hadit.

Not sure what your asking.?? What is VA Policy Number?

To be able to get medical care at the VA you need to go to a VAMC and sign up for your health care, you will need your DD-214 & ID and that's it possible marriage license & birth certificates also. CHECK AT THE INFORMATION DESK FOR THE SIGN UP OFFICE LOCATION.

You will need your pic taken and a VA ID Card issued to you. (they will do that)

With your Service Connected Ratings there should be NO CO-PAY and all medical services and medications will cost you nothing.

If this is what you question is?

• HadIt.com Elder

Non VA CARE is a special circumstance, you will need VA Approval  when you have to go to a VA Non E.R. FOR N EMERGENCY ONLY.

you need to call the VA PRIOR before getting the private care ,call form the Non E.R. or have family member or someone from the Non VA E.R. to call the VA and let them know your there, if admitted to the hospital because of any of your S.C. Disability's, you have a 72 hour time frame to let the VA know so they can send transportation from the Non VA Care Facility to the VAMC if it warrants it.

Also I was just informed that if any veteran rated 50% or higher and has an medical emergency   that the VA will pay the Non VA E.R. Bill  if the Veteran follows the strick guidlines./proper procedure. 

check out Ben Krause blog site about Non VA Care & payment.

Ben Krause, attorney,and veteran's advocate , and disabled vet, recently had this situation himself, and his article here might help someone:

http://www.disabledveterans.org/2017/05/05/the-next-72-hours-3-things-veterans-must-do-during-civilian-emergency-room-visits/

Edited by Buck52

no buck52. va is paying for my auqatherapy and accupuncture for pain now since i will not get any better they are going to stop paying for. it helps me manage my pain but now if they stop i regress back then what? Below is a email i got from my team at the VA. Very unprofessional I think.

this is a copy of the note I received from dave:

LET PT KNOW THAT INDEFINITE AQUA THERAPY VISITS WAS NOT APPROVED.  PT WILL NEED 
TO USE PRIVATE INSURANCE OR GET A MEMBERSHIP TO A CLUB WITH A POOL AND DO THE 
EXERCISES ON HIS OWN TO HELP MAINTAIN THE BENEFITS HE HAS ATTAINED
Jeane Duclos 

• HadIt.com Elder

They should let you use the VAMC Therapy ReHab..if its not feasible or you live more than 40 miles  I think you should be entitled to the choice card ...> but I think the new VA Sec IS ABOLISHING this program  he called  unconstitutional .

but this is different than using a E.R. For Non VA Care.

Still your 100% and you qualify for YOUR HEALTH BENEFITS and the VAMC Should never turn you away  if they cut you off I'd send VA Secretary Shulkin  an email about all of this.