VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Records Request NPRC vs JSRRC question & actual Terminal Leave

Rate this question

MKAH

Question

Back in late 1984, early 1985 I had filed with my headquarters company a duty station transfer request (which was denied) not long after I was exposed to MST while serving in West Germany. I wanted this information in support my original PTSD-MST claim and now my NOD DRO review.

During the development of my claim, I personally ordered my military file from the NPRC which contained very little information and did not specifically detail my transfer request or actual Terminal Leave.

Does the  NPRC collect , archive or possibly have this type of information?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by MKAH
Spelling / add addtional line

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you are asking if they compiled databases or copies of paperwork for these types of actions, then no, they act as nothing more than an archive storage and retrieval. If you requested your records and it was not included in their response, you can submit a new request specifying what form(s) you are requesting or for a complete copy of every document in your record. They do only send copies of "pertinent" service documents (especially if your record is large), but will send copies of any omitted documents if you submit a follow-up requests for them. Keep in mind though that many units were not very diligent in maintaining Service member's records, especially with administrative type actions, so the document may simply not exist in your record. If that is the case then, barring you finding a copy in your personal files, the document is essentially gone forever. 

Thank you for the information Broken Airman.  I will try your suggestions.

Good morning. Another option would be to order all of your LES's for your entire military career. On the LES it does have when you took your leave. I do know this for fact not from 3rd party. It will take a while to get the LES's but you have to wait to find your records anyway so you have nothing to lose by requesting them. You can go to the DFAS site and search for the link.

On 5/19/2017 at 6:32 AM, Raza2009 said:

Good morning. Another option would be to order all of your LES's for your entire military career. On the LES it does have when you took your leave. I do know this for fact not from 3rd party. It will take a while to get the LES's but you have to wait to find your records anyway so you have nothing to lose by requesting them. You can go to the DFAS site and search for the link.

Raza,2009,

Thanks for the tip...I got the link and submitted the request.

Did your request from NARA your complete 201 Personnel file? It might be in that.

Don't forget-the VA accepts outcry statements....in essence 'buddy statements from anyone who knew of this incident right after it happened.(outcry)..it could be a unit member or a family member and they could give a detailed statement on your behalf to the VA. The VA needs to have their contact info and they should either write an oath on the statement ( or use a 21-4138-I think it has an oath on it) or get their signature notarized.

Your unit will surely have a web site and maybe even a Reunion Roster or '

looking for' area. Sometimes a buddy can be found by simply googling their name and trying to narrow that down.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:41 AM, Berta said:

Did your request from NARA your complete 201 Personnel file? It might be in that.

Don't forget-the VA accepts outcry statements....in essence 'buddy statements from anyone who knew of this incident right after it happened.(outcry)..it could be a unit member or a family member and they could give a detailed statement on your behalf to the VA. The VA needs to have their contact info and they should either write an oath on the statement ( or use a 21-4138-I think it has an oath on it) or get their signature notarized.

Your unit will surely have a web site and maybe even a Reunion Roster or '

looking for' area. Sometimes a buddy can be found by simply googling their name and trying to narrow that down.

Berta,

Thank you for this information.  Can you tell me more about where to find resources on MARA and getting my complete 201 personnel file?  I googled it but did not see anything that looked like what your are talking about.

Thank you so much.