Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connection Diagnosis Change Question

Rate this question

jeeperrs

Question

I was MEB in 2003 for Supraventricular Tachycardia.  I was also service connected for knee pain in both knees.  I have been getting treatment for my knees with the VA since I left the Army by having steroid injections several times a year.  Through the years I started having problems with many of my joints.  My PA and I had a conversation during my last injection that maybe something else was going on and causing the problems in my knees.  She called the Rheumatoid Arthritis doctor and ordered a panel of labs.  I have been tested positive and diagnosed as having RA.  RA is not only liked to joint pain but to arrhythmia issues that I was service boarded from the military.  The doctor is changing my treatment plan for my knees and heart with the new diagnosis.  The reason for the delay in diagnosis was due to the fact RA is not the most commonly tested illness for the medical issues I have been being treated.  Can I service connect the RA to my knee and heart issues with the new RA diagnosis?  All lab work and diagnosis is through my VA clinic and doctors.  There should be little argument on the diagnosis and treatment changes.  Last question, if they connect the RA to my knees and make it service connected, can I then add all the joints being treated (I have a long history of injections in many joints and the spine for inflammation that is documented on MRIs).  Thanks for any feedback.  I am just not familiar how a major change in diagnosis impacts previous service connection ratings and decisions.

5 answers to this question

" RA is not only liked to joint pain but to arrhythmia issues that I was service boarded from the military.  The doctor is changing my treatment plan for my knees and heart with the new diagnosis."

The  doctor  might be willing to do a very favorable DBQ.It would be great to bolster you claim ( by all means file for the RA as secondary to the SC conditions) by accessing some good treatises or medical literature that supports the nexus via Google.(maybe the doc did that already)

I apologize for sounding dumb, what is a DBQ?  Also, do VA doctors usually do a DBQ or will I need to find a private doctor to write that up?  

• HadIt.com Elder

Its just a form for the Dr's to address about your S.C.disability  the severity of it.

Most VA Dr's won't fill out a DBQ  some will some won't  just ask your VA Dr to fill it out? and good luck with it...Mine told me that's not her job & for me to seek help with he DAV for claims.

even when I told her it says right here on the DBQ to be filled out by VA Dr's or  Qualified Clinicians   she said no.

They think it will cause them problems with their Job.

Edited by Buck52

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Its just a form for the Dr's to address about your S.C.disability  the severity of it.

Most VA Dr's won't fill out a DBQ  some will some won't  just ask your VA Dr to fill it out? and good luck with it...Mine told me that's not her job & for me to seek help with he DAV for claims.

even when I told her it says right here on the DBQ to be filled out by VA Dr's or  Qualified Clinicians   she said no.

They think it will cause them problems with their Job.

I looked the form up and see where it says to have the VA doc fill it out.  I see my new doctor on Friday.  Hopefully he will be reasonable and fill the form out.  I would like for the VA to pay for the medical bills by making it service connected.  The most frustrating part is when you can't get a doctor to do what needs to be done for the rating.  I know they don't want to make a mess of things but it is also required on our end to get things done properly.  I thought my VA life was going to be a downhill run after winning the BVA appeal.  Now the doctors had to go and change diagnosis and make me work the system all over again.  LOL

One last question before I see the Dr on Friday.  I have been service connected for Chondromalacia for 16 years in both knees at 10%.  What happens if the Dr states the diagnosis should not be Chondromalacia and is RA?  Do I have to reprove service connection since I have been treated under a wrong diagnosis and service connected for all these years in both knees?  I have been googling what happens when a service connected diagnosis changes and cannot find anything except for PTSD and Anxiety.