VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question a rating calculations

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The term is almost always, "False hope".  

VA almost never "adds" the ratings, but rather "combines" them using the whole man technique which results in a lower rating than simple adding.  

Broncovet back in 1994 I received a 10 percent rating for painful scar and it said rating is to be added not combined. The scar is 14 inches long and 15/16 of an inch wide. It's painful enough to stop me in my tracks if it's hit, raw nerves!

I can't recall the term for it to look it up.

16 hours ago, broncovet said:

The term is almost always, "False hope".  

VA almost never "adds" the ratings, but rather "combines" them using the whole man technique which results in a lower rating than simple adding.  

In 1994 I got a 10 percent rating that said to be added not combine.

I think in the bilateral factor its added not combined.  Unless you can cite me a reference, as I posted, Va almost always "combines" ratings and not adds them.  This said, VA always does complex stuff and its never that simple.  Sorry I wasnt more help.  

Guys all the time are trying to get from 90 percent to 100 percent...it takes an additional 50 percent to go from 90 percent to 100 percent, because of combining the ratings under the whole man technique.  I have no idea if that was in effect in 1994, tho.  Its always been like this since I first applied in 2002.  

7 hours ago, JayBrown1 said:

Broncovet back in 1994 I received a 10 percent rating for painful scar and it said rating is to be added not combined. The scar is 14 inches long and 15/16 of an inch wide. It's painful enough to stop me in my tracks if it's hit, raw nerves!

I can't recall the term for it to look it up.

No idea the term used when "adding" a disability but I can tell you a painful scar due to nerve injury is called paresthesia lol. I know that's not what you're looking for but figured I'd at least answer something for you lol 

Thanks, I think that bilateral is what I was looking for. I pulled my files and it did say to be added not combined. I have been 100 percent since 2008 but still have an appeal from a a claim back from 2004 that has been remanded twice back to the RO. Hopefully it will finally get a decision soon. 

Edited by JayBrown1